PDF may not be safe

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to All:

When using adobe, you need to go to document security settings under the file pulldown menu in order to prevent someone from copying, paste, editing, etc your PDF. You can set it up for print only as well. You enter in a password and your done.

Hope this helps.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jdoherty

would be willing to do so, are a very small fraction.

If you have a client who has given you an indication that maybe he/she would pull something like this, scan the document into Microsoft Word using OCR software (probably came with your scanner or go to www.download.com for some good free and near free ones) and then compare it to your original using Word's compare feature (Compare and Merge under the tools menu) and it will show you right away if anything is different from your master. This is a bit of runaround but if you have an instance where you are really worried about it, it doesn't take much time.

If anyone needs more specifics about this, email me or I can post more info if enough care. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jay,

Some of us inspectors invite our clients to edit our reports for future work and upgrades that are performed on the property. I don't really get excited about it because I do keep a copy of the original report until the statute of limitations runs out, then it gets tossed because their in practically no liability from that point on.

What are you suggesting will happen if the client edits the report? Don't you keep a copy of the original?

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: jdoherty

Joseph,

I think what Jay was considering (and Jay, correct me if I'm wrong here) was a client who downloaded your agreement off your website (pdf form), typed a few discreet changes, signed it and gave it to you on the day of your inspection. Nobody really looks at the agreement because we've all seen it a thousand times.

I actually had a client do this to me in my previous industry. Our company counsel caught it. He did say it was the only time he'd ever even heard of that.

I do think that if something like that ever happened that having thousands of other that didn't contain the changes would make it a no brainer for any court...

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Hi To All:

I realize no document is 100% safe. If one were to hack into the password and change things up, how do you think the judge or arbitrator be in favor of? One thing that cannot be changed is the email attachment with a time stamp of the transmission.

I do not believe I can forget my foolproof password protection.

No need to respond.

Thanks,

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member