Peel and Stick

On the shake roofs, the tar paper is woven through the battens.Then the shakes are installed to the battens.

I agree with you and what Brad was trying to say, with regards to the shake roof. I would imagine the reason it is contained in answer 3A, is that the uplift value is not much. Shake roofs, at least down here, are crap. The constantly require maintenance and leak. Every time we get a 15 mph wind here, the houses with shake roofs need repairs. I would never have one on any house I owned, and if I did, it wouldn’t be there long!

To the OP, I am not aware of any metal roof that can be installed over battens, with the exception of the older roofs, like the original roof on that house. Was the roof re-decked? That is why I asked if it was permitted.

I know when changing a shake roof to a shingle or tile roof, we would go over the battens with 3/4 inch plywood, then the underlayments and finally the roof covering.

Going strictly by the form, I would give the swr credit as it does cover the gaps as well as the decking and also the nailing as “C” because it is lumber less than 6 inches wide with one, and probably more nails. It is what I see…and what I can prove.

I would agree with Brad. However, if the metal roof was thick enough it could work nicely. Without more information, I would mark E or F.

Even if the shakes were removed, the original batten decking would still remain. Its still the same roof deck system, regardless if shakes or shingles are in existence.

You are correct…the wood is the same…

Dimensional lumber is a term used for lumber that is finished/planed and cut to standardized width and depth specified in inches. Commercial lumber dimensions - American Softwood Lumber Standards - nominal and actual sizes are indicated in the table below.

What answer is correct for the OP where the home has a metal roof?

A. Plywood/Oriented strand board (OSB) roof sheathing attached to the roof truss/rafter (spaced a maximum of 24” inches o.c.) by staples or 6d nails spaced at 6” along the edge and 12” in the field. -OR-** Batten decking supporting wood shakes or wood shingles.** -OR- Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift less than that required for Options B or C below.

Plywood/OSB roof sheathing with a minimum thickness of 7/16”inch attached to the roof truss/rafter (spaced a maximum of 24”inches o.c.) by 8d common nails spaced a maximum of 6” inches in the field. -OR- Dimensional lumber/Tongue & Groove decking with a minimum of 2 nails per board (or 1 nail per board if each board is equal to or less than 6 inches in width). -OR Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that is shown to have an equivalent or greater resistance than 8d common nails spaced a maximum of 6 inches in the field or has a mean uplift resistance of at least
182 psf.

Luckily, this situation does not come up often. I have never seen spaced sheathing on a dwelling in 30 yrs. It really comes down to what the underwriter will accept, and I doubt 1x3 battens spaced like that will get accepted as 182 psf or better…just sayin. But, anybody can try I guess, and I would not give the client any assurances it will go through.

“OR”

conjunction
1.used to link alternatives.
“a cup of tea **or **coffee”

1. Plywood/OSB roof sheathing with a minimum thickness of 7/16”inch attached to the roof truss/rafter (spaced a maximum of 24”inches o.c.) by 8d common nails spaced a maximum of 6” inches in the field.

2. -OR- Dimensional lumber/Tongue & Groove decking with a minimum of 2 nails per board (or 1 nail per board if each board is equal to or less than 6 inches in width).

3. -OR Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that is shown to have an equivalent or greater resistance than 8d common nails spaced a maximum of 6 inches in the field or has a mean uplift resistance of at least
    182 psf.

There are three possible answers. Looking at the picture of the skip sheathing from the original poster, the answer is contained in answer 2 above.

Deductive reasoning:
Can’t be one as there is no plywood.
Can’t be three as it is not known.
It is two as it is dimensional lumber less than six inches wide with one nail.

It cannot be answer 3A on the form as it does not have a shake roof.
Everyone likes to insert “intent”, while I might as well do it too. The “intent” was that a shake roof over skip sheathing will never meet the uplift requirements of any of the other answers…and probably not answer 3A either.