Pete Rose

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What are the opinions on Charlie Hustle?

I think................

As far as him managing again I say NO. As far as him having a say in baseball, I say NO. He still gambles because he has an addiction, therefore, he is not "clean".

As far as the Hall of Fame, YES, let him in. What he accomplished as a player was prior to of the issues. He was a fantastic player who has the stats to prove it. Charlie Hustle SHOULD be allowed into the hall of fame without a doubt. Bart G. has since passed and so has the thrill of baseball. Time to move on to a new chapter and let Pete Rose back so he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He deserves it.

When he proves that he is no longer a gambler and receives the treatment he needs to come to terms with his addiction, then I would consider letting him back as a manager. Until then, put him in the Hall of Fame where he belongs.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Shoeless Joe Jackson belongs in the hall before Charlie Hustle does. I think that Hell will freeze over before we see either there, though.

Rose's attitude of late doesn't help his cause, either.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I think that I am like most American’s in that I can overlook nearly everything accept dishonesty. In many ways I am myself unskilled, arrogant, misguided, hard-headed, rude, dim-witted, etc… and nearly everyone gives me a pass and says “oh well, he’s trying” because I’m forthcoming. Dishonesty however is usually unforgivable and I think it is in this case.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess I’ll be the lone voice of this opinion, but…

Let him in the hall, and let him manage. We let guys back in the game after steroids which give a competitive advantage, drug abuse (Steve Howe was "banned" 7 times, the last three for life and then there's Darryl Strawberry and others), spousal abuse, sex addiction (wobbly legs the next day) and everything else under the sun.

I don't buy the argument that he hasn't said "I'm Sorry". That is meaningless to what he has done. That is like putting perfume on a skunk, it still stinks and nothing will change that.

Baseball can certainly demand that he regularly attend gamblers anonymous meetings, just like they make the drug abusers go the rehab. If he can attend the meetings, fine. Even make a stipulation to him that if he ever gambles, his bust will be removed from the hall never to return.

Joe is correct, Shoeless Joe also belong in, too. Pete Rose holds the record for the most career hits, played the game the way it was meant to be, and although I despised the Reds I watched their games every time they were on the tube. Charley Hustle was aptly named, and belongs in the Hall for his achievements on the field. If they want to put up another plaque next to his bust that tells of his gambling, that is fine too.

I have much more to rant about this, but I gotta go.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

gromicko wrote:
I think that I am like most American's in that I can overlook nearly everything accept dishonesty. In many ways I am myself unskilled, arrogant, misguided, hard-headed, rude, dim-witted, etc... and nearly everyone gives me a pass and says "oh well, he's trying" because I'm forthcoming. Dishonesty however is usually unforgivable and I think it is in this case.

Nick

Me too, guess thats why I'm not in jail.

Joe God-is-not-through-working-on-me-yet Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Hey Blaine, good thoughts. What about guys like D.Strawberry? How about the idiot who spit in the umps face a few years ago. They get a little fine and can continue.? BS, complete BS.

This is what made me a hockey fan years ago. Most baseball players are wimps anyway. "OOOHhhhhh I have a sore spot on my thumb!!!, put me on the injured reserve list!"

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Careful now, My dad was a minor league catcher in the 50’s and early 60’s. He never came out of a game. Played with two broken fingers on his catching hand that didn’t heal till the end of the season, talk about pain. His fingers still don’t look right.

For the most part you are probably correct though, but even baseball players aren't as wimpy as soccer players. Just watch a soccer game, if you can....

I'm a big hockey fan, but there have been some awful cheap shots which go unpunished, or if caught just a slap on the wrist. I remember the Capitals guy (I can't believe that I can't remember his name) who hit LaFontaine in the back of the leg after a goal and was suspended 21 games. That is about the most discipline I've seen.

Originally Posted By: Phillip R. Hinman

I think our nemesis in the HI business should hire Petey as spokes person.

Phil

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Living in the Cincinnati area and being a long time Reds fan, I say let him in. True, what he did was wrong and he might still be gambling & lying about gambling.

And no comment on these multi million dollar players of today.

The bottom line is he has accomplished a feat that no other player has.

As a player He worked his A%# off.

4,256 career hits. He led the NL in hits for 7 years.

I think the question that is most important here is: Did his gambling or lying about gambling have anything at all to do with his extraordinary accomplishments? I don't think so.

He is truely a Baseball Immortal.

http://www.baseballimmortals.net/immortals/pete_rose.shtml

He has earned the right to be in the Hall of Fame.

Kevin Leonard ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Blaine, the older baseball players up to the 80’s were alot tougher icon_evil.gif . Now they are wimps so nothing against your dad.

Let the man in.

Just an FYI for everyone, whatever I post is the gospel and all other posts are just opinions. Just thought I would let you guys know that.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598