Phase Inspection Trench Safety

When doing phase inspections be aware of the dangers involved in entering trenches. OSHA has guidelines for safety if the trench is over 5 feet deep. The free graphic attached goes above the OSHA guide where I recommend no vehicles, stockpiles, or heavy equipment within the NO LOAD ZONE. Working around heavy/civil construction sites most of my career I have seen too many inspectors and workers ignore the cave-in potential of unstable soils. Also, be aware wet soil is heavier and more likely to fail.

1 Like

Thanks, Randy. You do great, helpful, drawings.

Thanks for the great post Randy.
I find it amazing the numbers of “inspectors” that have no clue, (or ever heard of), the ‘Angle of Repose’ and how it applies in our everyday work.

Yes, nice graphic Randy.
But the slope in most excavations will most likely be determined by the soil classifications.
You will not find over excavations for the sake of safety too often. That cost money in most Contractors eyes, so they try to go the minimum slope they can get away with.

But it is important for HI’s to recognize the danger , so hopefully your graphic will help some.

SOIL OR ROCK TYPE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SLOPES (H:V)(1) FOR EXCAVATIONS LESS THAN 20 FEET DEEP(3)
STABLE ROCK VERTICAL (90º)
TYPE A (2) 3/4:1 (53º)
TYPE B 1:1 (45º)
TYPE C 1 ½:1 (34º)

It is a good reminder but it is a theory only.
Houses are build every day in narrow lots with foundation 4’ from property line without proper shoring. It is not safe but contractors and waterptofers taking this chances every day. Only their experience and ”know how” protecting them from potential accident.