Phased inspection

I’m doing a phased inspection, with the house just framed and electrical/plumbing/HVAC roughed in. My question is for the roof to wall attachment - In the pic, there are straps which are fastened up one side of the truss. The builder claims he is from Miami, and this is how the Miami/Dade homes are built to code.
The strap of course, does not wrap around to be fastened on the opposite side.
My question - is this really according to Miami-Dade requirements?

Would not the more important question be.
Is this acceptable where the home is being built?

Check the plans…if this is what was approved in plan review, it is correct.

Kissimmee needs to meet FBC, not MDBC.

Reece, I know it’s not required, but this builder told the buyer he was adhering to Miami/Dae requirements for wind mitigation. If he is, I think it would be a good thing, but this doesn’t look like it.
This is a weird situation - the client contracted with me without telling the builder. Then the builder required me to show proof of license, insurance, etc. They said my inspection cannot interfere with construction, and I cannot see plans or ask questions of GC or subcontractors. I can only do the visual inspection.

If you were hired by the client, he should have a stamped set of plans for you alone. It does not matter in the least what the builder says. If something is not built to plan spec, call it out. Make sure you have all the truss engineering that comes with the truss package from the truss company. That engineering overrides the plans truss spec tie downs.

Yes, this is correct. Due to the angle, the attachment cannot wrap. There must be a nail in every available hole. This is one reason that FBC built homes get an automatic discount regardless of clip or single wrap.

The only thing that you have to go by is the 1)the stamped/engineered plan set, 2)the FBC and 3)the manufacturers specifications.
1)Does it the tie down match the anchor detail in the plans?
2)Does the material meet the FBC or have an NOA?
3)Is it installed to the manufacturers specifications?
If you can’t put a check mark beside ALL three of those questions, it needs to be corrected.
That being said, I agree with Jay that this looks correct. Clips are legal if installed to the manufacturers specifications. I would verify that all holes have nails, that it is the correct size of nail, that the straps are imbedded far enough into the concrete, and that they are all within 1" away from the truss.
Hope this helps.

The builder is responsible for you while the work is in progress on site…understandable that he doesn’t want you there. Do your inspections after hours, and the plans should be in the permit box.

The issue is: does it meet the plans as approved. This would include the truss layout. If you are not allowed to talk with anyone how do you know this is “how they do it in Miami?” He was just blowing smoke, to shut you up.

Strap connections are based on uplift calculations and wrapping has nothing to do with it, unless it is included in the calculations. It is usually just taken from the connector manual. If you do not know, stop in your local supplier and ask for a Simpson catalog. Most of these are over engineered and it would be irrelevant anyway.

What John said !
Here is Simpson web site: http://www.strongtie.com/products/category_list.html

The the question is, why don’t single wrap and clip get the same discount? :mrgreen:

As for the ops question, for the type of truss, it is correct.

Because it is on the OIR form and by definition, it is a clip. Now if you could get all of the inspectors to actually look up the strap(if that was possible) the form would be different than it is today.

You mean like the two nail on one side, one on the other single wrap mistake on the previous form?
Why is it the inspectors have to do it? Shouldn’t the designers of the form contacted the manufacturer for the specifications, prior to releasing the form?
The previous question was rhetoric and requires no answer. :mrgreen:

John, that was my real question. I didn’t talk to the builder, but the buyer did, and he told them he was going to “show them how we build homes in Miami…”
I’ve got the Simpson info, and these are acceptable for the application. My question was more “is this the way they do it in Miami…?” Thanks.

Yes…Depending on all the items Reece, John, and others identified. The plans meet approval, the design is such that the connector cannot wrap over, This is what you get. In mdc or anywhere else.

One a side note, anytime you are told that it is built to mdc specifications, and you are not physically in the hvhz. They’re blowing smoke up your trousers. One item or all may meet mdc requirement or product approval. But no one will build the entire building as over engineered as they do in mdc, unless they are in mdc! Just say’in.:smiley: