Philadelphia, Pa. 2004 License required....!

Originally Posted By: rpalac
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The question has come up …“Does Philadelphia require a Home Inspector to have a licence?”

Yes.......
It was passed and is in effect of as now.
You actually need two license's

Philly Requires a Home Inspectors licence renewable every year in October The Fee is $300

Also Philadelphia requires a business Privilege licence to operate in Philadelphia.

They do check to make sure you have both. I have rentals and also a building business and was brought upon the carpet more than once regarding my licence. Fortunately I was legal and did have my documentation....the fact is that they do investigate and do not give you warnings....they usually send you a notice with a court date.... Pretty nasty.

The contact phone number for the licence is 215-686-2490
they will send you the paper work and fees. you must ask them for both license paper work "home inspector and business privilege". They are not astute enough to volunteer information.

Best of Luck
Bob

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“business privilege”

Do lawyers have to pay this? If not, I believe that this is selective inforcement. What I mean is, that this does not applied to everyone.

Does legal extortion sound correct?

In Ohio now that we have a state lic. for the "trades" every municipality has to let you work there. The catch you have to pay a "registration fee".

In Columbus $350.00 for my Electrical, $350.00 for my Plumbing, $350.00 for my GC and two seperate $15000.00 bonds. Every year. Good thing they do not charge for being a HI. Remember this is JUST in Columbus not all the other burgs. Maybe I should not complain. They do not charge for the other pieces of paper that I hold.

Mike P.

Remeber the Boston Tea Party…The seam s to be taxation on all representation…

As the ytell me pay to play

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Same question, different thread. What happens when you perform a home inspection in Philly when you are unlicensed?

Joe Myers

Hi Joe,

I see you are a neighbor…I live in Phoenixville also.

What unfortunate issues I've had in Philly are that if they do find out they do pursue you immediately in court.

The way they monitor mostly is through lodged complains.
With regard to my real estate holdings they did take me to court. They did put me through a lot of necessary grief. I did have to get an attorney AS WELL AS A TAX ATTORNEY AT MY EXPENSE TO RESOLVE MY ISSUE. Its' JUST NOT WORTH it TO PLAY WITH THEM. you SPEND MORE TIME TRYING TO STRAIGHTEN IT OUT THEN YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. I lived in a building had licenses and was building new houses and they tried to tax me on unearned income based on a complaint that was false. It took a lot of documentation and good records to clear it up but it also cost me close to 8K when I was done.

The worse of it was, I was innocent and had to prove my innocence.
The city has a way of acting like the Gestopo.
If a customer complains and you don't have a license they will assess you a figure from what I have gathered as of yet.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Joe DiGiacomo

I want to clarify something for my own benifit, the two licence you speek of, are they for work in Philly only and not for surounding counties? Do you see other counties requiring the HI licence in the near future? Thanks

Originally Posted By: jremas

What are the requirements for Philadelphia Licensing?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

$$$$$$$$ ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Joe Myers

I just spoke to the Philadelphia Licence Issuance office ( Paul Dinella )

215-686-2487

Her’s the latest:

Yes The City Does Have A License Requirement Effective NOW:
3 items are required

1.) A fee of $300 for a 3 year licence
2.) A business Privilege License in the city of Philly $250 (I think)
3.) A minimum value and deductible of E & O Insurance
4.) A member of one of two recognized and accepted organizations.
ASHI or NAHI
( NACH- is not recognized because our exam is not proctored)
If you are a NACHI member, they will accept it if you get a proctored exam by a recognized third party.....EBHI)

If an inspector is doing an inspection the city will prosecute via fine, or hearing....they possibly will confiscate equipment including company vehicle to show enforcement for repeat violations.

I'm only relaying info as it was relayed.

I am currently taking IBC courses but they are not required for home inspectors as I was previously informed.

That's it folk's