Pilot lights

I’m inspecting a vacant home later this week. Gas was off and the buyers had it turned on so I could check HVAC, etc. Is it good practice to ignite a pilot light on a hot water heater to check function or do most inspectors stay away from this?

Nope!If it ain’t lit it don’t get inspected

I personally stay away from it. If the home is vacant I ask that all gas appliances are turned on with pilot lights lit. I don’t need that kind of liability.

I would inspect all I could without operating it and state as such in the report, kind of like inspecting an A/C in winter…

Inspect unit write up what you could inspect & could not due to pilot light being out. I personally am not going to take on the liability of lighting something that is out. There is no way to tell in most cases why it was turned off, but I’m not going to pay to find out.

Have had agents tell me to “just light it”. I pass it to them. If they want it included, then they can light it. Usually takes care of the issue one way or the other.

We all will also run into winterized homes soon. Close to winter time.

Along with your PIA, have an intro email statement about having “utilities on, and operational, or a second trip will apply…”

I use ISN so the realtors get an email at time of scheduling. In the email I have in bold red lettering that to perform the inspection properly utilities must be on and pilot lights lit. The buying agent gets a copy of this as well. If I show up and they are not on, they can never say I did not tell them. I had one agent tell me he never opens my emails so did not see it. The agent has been in business for over 20 years. You think by now he would have known.

…and you never lite pilots.

They should understand then…

I realize you girls have a SOP that states you do not light pilot lights and I understand that but after 40 years of lighting pilot lights I feel kinda stupid saying there is to much liability for me to light it. I look to see why its off and I just light it and go on with my business saves me all the hassle. :mrgreen::wink:

Charlie, be sure you turn them back off after you leave. I do light them on occasion, but you have to look at the age and condition of them before lighting. Most do not light for a reason. Same with furnaces and stoves. You can try to light them, but make sure valves are back off after you are done. You do not want to take the chance with gas leaks with vacant homes.

I had a persistent client on a new construction house wanting the fireplace lit (years ago).

There was a fitting inside the wall leaking.
Boom! Chimney flue, flew over to the next street!

No one said anything becayse the fitting was inside the wall…

I approach with caution.
In my HVAC days I had insurance for blowing up houses.
My HI Insurance does not cover lighting fires in a house! Dose yours?

Being qualified dose not make you “covered” .

Just sayen.