Pits inside sewer line

I was doing a sewer scope inspection today and found these pits in some of the pipe. I’ve never seen this before. Any ideas what this is? Is this from drain cleaner or???

Please ignore the time and date, I have no idea why the time and date won’t stay set properly.

This is a 25 yr old house on city sewer that’s been used as a rental for undetermined amount of time.

Cory, is that Orangeburg pipe? It is hard to tell from your photo (which may be overexposed) but look here:

And here: orangeburg pipe - Google Search

1 Like

Possibly from some type of acid based drain cleaner.

Looks like the inside of SDR pipe. The inside is not as smooth as the exterior. So how many have you “seen” for comparison? Those “pits” are likely in the build up on the bottom of the pipe and not in the pipe material.

“Standard Dimension Ratio pipe”…only smaller: :rofl:

SDR in the industry is a reference to sewer pipe which is very different than drain pipe. Sorry for not clarifying :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thanks, Martin.

1 Like

Hello Larry It is buried so i can’t see any markings but I believe it to be standard PVC sewer pipe

Looks like the inside of SDR pipe. The inside is not as smooth as the exterior. So how many have you “seen” for comparison? Those “pits” are likely in the build up on the bottom of the pipe and not in the pipe material.

I’ve never heard of SDR pipe. However I’ve seen and installed probably miles of PVC pipe. I’ve never seen anything like this

Here are links to clips from the inspection where you can see the pits. these are short clip Most of the sewer line

THIS ONE HAS LOTS OF PITS - PITS - YouTube

This one very smooth but an occasional pit - mainly smooth - YouTube

I do not think they are pits at all. But rather small bits that water is flowing around. On the video, 23 second mark, the pits “wash away”.

2 Likes

Looks like dried sludge or accumulations that are now flaking and peeling.

2 Likes

Looks like a liner that is wearing away. The underlying material seems to have some aggregate but concrete would be pretty rare on a house that new.

Blockquote

Agreed. Very evident at 23 seconds one of the pits washes away.

1 Like

they are more like bubbles. You should be running water into the pipe while doing a scope. it will keep the pipe easier to push your cable through and keep the camera head clean.
if there was more water in the pipe these anomalies would not be there.

I’ve worked with some really good scope companies over the years and the method most use it to push out with water running and pull back with it off. This (as you say) helps get the camera out easier but coming back with no water helps inspect the bottom of the pipe and helps finding bellies, etc.

1 Like