Plaster walls and ceilings

Originally Posted By: vincent wood
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there a way to tell what type of backing is behind the

surface. Like wood lath strips or wire mess.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Vincent,

Sure, put a hole in the wall. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Why do you have to know what is behind there anyway?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum

Joseph Myers wrote:
Vincent,

Sure, put a hole in the wall. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Why do you have to know what is behind there anyway?

Joe Myers

Very true.... I work in a lot of old houses.... and to my surprise, if there is a leak and need to bust open a wall/ceiling, I"m surprised to see sheetrock on the ceiling (half sheetrock/half plaster). If the house hasn't had any repairs to the ceiling or walls and its older then 60 years old, its probably safe to say its plaster. But if you don't know the past history of the house, you gotta bust a hole in the wall. If its really hard to bust a hole in the wall, then its probably plaster ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: vincent wood

Thanks guys,

My report form has a area to fill out if I can.

Vincent,

Since you can't bust a hole in the wall you better report that it is unknown. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jremas

There can different coverings on the same home, e.i. paneling, drywall, plaster & lath, etc. What you see in one area may not be in another. However, when you are in the attic, you can pick up the insulation (if there and not covered by a floor) to see what is underneath. Cornerbeads on drywall are easy to pick out too. I know we are not suppose to but if you take off a switch or receptacle plate you can often find what you seek.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

If its plaster, I report it as such. You can pretty easily tell the difference between plaster and sheetrock in the hardness of it when you knock. As to the substrate, whether mesh, wire, or rock lath, what difference does it make? The walls are plaster… You’ve desctibed what you’ve seen, in a non-invasive manner. Sure, you can remove a wall plate, or look in ghe attic for wire lath, bit that’s about it…

I’d take off the wall plate (sounds like a good idea). When inspecting a garage (if its attached)… I would take off a plate to see if the drywall was thick enough (for fire safety reasons) on the wall that is also a wall for the house.

Originally Posted By: rray

The only things I take off is the electric panel cover, the cover to the furnace (if it is not screwed on), and the covers to the water heater burner chamber. Well, I do take off my clothes every now and then.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Russel,

Hopefully they are not all taken off during the inspection. I can understand the covers, but you got to start getting tips if the clothes come off during the inspection. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Dave Bush wrote:
Russel,
.....but you got to start getting tips if the clothes come off during the inspection.... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I'm guessing an extra $200 dollars or so....if you do a dance for them..... an extra $100 You should put that down for other services. "Doing inspection shirtless......extra $50" or "Doing inspection without any clothes on.....extra $200"

Originally Posted By: rray

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ya'll are getting me to thinking now. That's very dangerous.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rking

Hey guys,

Would the extras such as ‘shirtless’ etc. be taxable to the client too? icon_confused.gif

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Steering Committee Member At Large

Joe H.

Thanks for bailing me out on that one. Since I don't do the checklist style reports, I have to idea how you fill in the blank! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Vincent,

Determining the difference between drywall and plaster and the different backing (lath) used for plaster can sometimes help confirm the date or age of the home. In this area the wood lath plaster jobs are typically 60+ years old (mid 40's & older). Rock lath for plaster (12" x 32") was generally used from the mid 40's to the early 60's. After the mid 60's most of the conventionally built homes were drywall. Plaster use after the mid 60's was generally in high end homes and restoration work.

During the post war housing boom period and subsequent prefabrication efforts there was a "grey pressed cardboard" wall covering used that I have run across several times in addition to a variety of paneling products.

Check around pipe openings under sinks, vent or registers, missing trims, panel or outlet box cover, utility access areas, attic (per Jeff) or any wall or ceiling penetration or previously damaged area that might provide a confirmation of the wall covering.

Happy Inspecting!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Take your 1/2 million candlepower flashlight flush to the wall.

If its sheetrock, you'll see it.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Plaster will not have visible joints … I think that’s what Erby was suggesting you look for with the flashlight. But a good drywall guy with a few coats of paint can fool you sometimes.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rstephens

How about looking in the attic if it has insulation move it and this will help you determine if it is wood lathe or mesh etc…

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Good point to check the attic (as well at an outlet) … but would you actually see mesh? I have never heard of plaster on mesh only.

I thought that plaster was always installed on wood lath (really old), rock lath (older), or more recently over drywall ... and the mesh would mostly be used as plaster reinforcement at corners or for exterior stucco.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong