Please Advise

I guess that would make them CMI’s…:smiley:

If its broke fix it!
If it needs repair, repair it!
If its leaning, leaking, falling down or about to, it needs repair!
It does not need further assessment.

I can’t believe how readily inspectors are willing to shift responsibility to a higher authority for the most trivial of matters or what is obvious.

I had an older home with a flat roof. I reported that the roof needed to be replaced. It was 90# roll roofing and there was fiberglass fibers showing everywhere. They had a roofer come out and he said he could repair it so that it would last a few more years. After that experience I recommend that a licensed roofer (or what ever professional) should be consulted for needed repairs.

The bottom line to all of this is in all cut and dry issues, call a spade a spade. Referring something to a licensed professional to be sure the spade is actually the spade you think you are seeing is smart. I do not see it as deferring responsibility but rather as directing my client down the correct path. Recently my dog had a leg injury. I spent over $500.00 ay my vet who I believe did a good job. He examined our dog and said that the injury could be a sprain or an Autoimmune problem. The swelling around the joint is a symptom of several injuies. He told me to have her on anti-inflamitory meds for two weeks. After two weeks she was no better. He explained my options. He referred me to an orthopedic. She is getting surgery on a torn achilles tendon on Friday.
My point… The vet is a generalist. If the anti-inflamitory meds would have worked the problem would be solved. But they did not. The vet did not suggest repair or replacement. He reffered me to a licensed professional for further evaluation. This is no different than our business.
Example. There is evidence of water damage on the sheathing of a roof. It is not raining. The moisture meter tells you the stains are dry. You cannot find the possible reason why the roof may be leaking at this location. :mrgreen: The shingles on the entire roof appear worn but not at the end of their useful life yet. You explain this in your report to your client. The stains may be old and repairs were already done to address it. You have no way of knowing that. I feel this is exactly where referring the client to a licensed roofing contractor is the responsible thing to do.

Yes, because if you recommend repairs and the roofer says that it needs replacing you could look bad. And they like to replace, not repair…

I use and like the Carson Dunlop Check list
I check R (R) in the task stands for repair or replace .
covers me they make the decision what should be done
Location T ( T) stands for throughout
Time 0 (0) means immediate .
Their choice do it or not ,If it leaks I told them to get it attended to immediately.
For me the C & D works fine to old to change now .
Yes I do have a computer program and all the toys
( still not going to change )
Roy Cooke Sr… Royshomeinspection.com

Your Vet should of X-rayed the dog as one of the prerequisites to determining an injury considering what he told you. Prescribing a pill is certainily passing the buck. Pills only address a symptom they do not treat the cause.

Maybe I missed something in the analogy.