Please explain the answer to this Question.

A bathroom door sticks and there is a drywall crack above the door. What should you report?

•Foundation problems are causing doors to stick and walls to crack.
•The bathroom door sticks, which may have caused the drywall crack above it.
•A structural engineer should be consulted.
•The bathroom door is causing foundation problems.

I’m probably going to mess this up but it can be a lot of different stuff. Settlement is one of them but nowadays on construction they always hire the cheapest guys, ****ty boarder with his ****ty taper can bang the drywall against the frame and push it out of plumb. Now that the door stick, the vibration can definitely crack the drywall. Just closing the door to hard can crack the drywall or having a drywall joint to close to the edge of the door would do it too.

I would probably recommend monitoring, if nothing changed get it fix. If it get worse, recommend the structural engineer.

Bathroom door is sticking and causing drywall to crack through door frame movement is most likely it …but to many variables if not there.

Recommend door repair and patching plus paint.:slight_smile:

That is the correct answer Bob and I don’t agree with it.

That question is posted on http://www.nachi.org/qa.htm
Anyone knowing how a door frame is installed in a rough opening, would know that the door frame sticking will not have caused the drywall to crack.

Everyone in the family knows the door sticks, so to get privacy they slam the door shut. But when they want to get out, they yank it really hard. All the brute force methods has done a number on the poor drywall.

I don’t like any of the answers. We shouldn’t “report” any. As home inspectors it is not our job to determine the cause of a defect.

By process of elimination, the only possible answer is #1 in my opinion.

Marcel…
Not sure what you are looking for…

***Bathroom 1

• Bathroom entry door binds in the framing. Recommend carpentry review and repair.
  • Drywall cracking present at the perimeter of the door. Recommend further carpentry review with repair / finish / painting as needed.***

I would not mention anything related to foundation or structural issues until I have been able to validate that there may be a foundation or structural issue.

door may have swelled
hinges may be loose
Door frame may have been put in wrong.

There’s one about nail pops I don’t agree with, but I can’t find it.

Marcel I see it all the time.
The door is being yanked and slammed in old homes and apartments all the time and opens taping seams ,etc.

No idea how the door in question was installed as I was not there to see it being installed …:slight_smile:

I never assume…LOL

Really need to be there to see it. Slight settling could have caused it. It would also depend in what part of the country you are. Is there a freeze/thaw effect in which the home will slightly frost jack and move? I have a 10 year old home with two settle cracks that open slightly and close seasonally. Both are on door header joints. I don’t even bother to fix them any longer because it sets off a room painting if I do. I simply have named them at this point. Would also recommend trimming the door so that it operated, along with the other repairs. This, of course, after ruling out if there was adverse effects any place else around the area on floors above and below. Which may signify support issues. In which case, further investigation by a S. E.

Like I said, this is a question on the practice exam.

The fact that the drywall don’t touch the door frame and is independent of it, if the door is sticking, the drywall probably cracked due to the movement before anyone got to slam the door hard enough to crack it.

Now if those walls were covered with plaster on wood lathe, then the sticking door might produce a bigger crack in the plaster that was only hairline at the time of movement due to shrinkage etc…

I am just trying to say that the answer is not correct in a technically occurrence in the real construction world.

I agree with Marcel Gratton.