Plugged plumbing vent pipe

Greg, you disclaim any limited or obscured view in the attic by insulation etc. and unreachable areas. With that being said, If I see wiring that looks amateur, I try to follow it, even under the insulation. I have found splices with no junction boxes, can lights not rated, etc.

1 Like

Joe you are right, I can’t say I have not fished through insulation before because like you said If I have a lead of something not being right and I need to follow up on it I have but I have yet to dig into a pile of insulation without having a reason of concern. And no I am not comfortable with not inspecting a nicely insulated attic, I would like to do as much as I possibly can for the client. I just did not see how I could approach the situation but carrying a mini rake is a very good idea, Thanks for the experienced opinions and ideas, I appreciate it.

1 Like

The purpose a vent in a plumbing system is maintain a 1" trap seal at each fixture. With the vent blocked a vacuum can form syphoning the water from a trap or over pressure the saniary line letting sewer gas enter the structure. The wet crawl space may not be plumbing related but a dry floor drain or loose cleanout could compound the ordor. Oh, and if it is PVC or hubless CI it is very easy to fill it with foam and just stick back together. I’ve seen worse as a Master Plumber

1 Like

Thanks, Michael…:smile:

A friend in Tennessee bought a home, inspector only viewed it from the access. The inspector missed the active knob and tube wiring.

Would you yourself want to buy a home without knowing if it had knob and tube wiring?

She says she will be suing the inspector and the Realtor who recommended him.

This question is not meant for me to look like a wise guy but for education, could the inspector defend himself with the SOP saying he is not required to move, touch or disturb insulation, I realize it may look like the inspector is not as into it as others but that is what the SOP states.

I really like this topic very educational for me. So a question for the inspectors that do dig through the insulation: 1. Do you just hit random spots? 2. Do you travel the complete attic? 3. Or if you just do a percentage, How much? Joe said and I find myself doing the same thing but did not realize it until this thread but he would fallow a lead or a feeling that something is wrong and search that area.

To me using the SOP IV. The inspector is not required to:

enter the attic or any unfinished spaces that are not readily accessible, or where entry could cause damage or, in the inspector's opinion, pose a safety hazard.

for not inspecting an attic is a cop out and poor excuse for not doing a proper inspection as a professional you are suppose to be and providing a disservice to the client.

The SOP doesn’t say not to inspect the attic.
Only if not accessible which is rare.
Only if you are going to cause damage on opening the access for some reason.
Only if it will pose a hazard which would be exposed wiring or open areas to below which again is rare.
Obviously not much of a hazard if the Female client went up there.

The first part of the SOP says;
I. The inspector shall inspect:

insulation in unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas;
    ventilation of unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas; and
    mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry area. 

II. The inspector shall describe:

the type of insulation observed; and
    the approximate average depth of insulation observed at the unfinished attic floor area or roof structure.

So how are you going to do that if you don’t go up in the attic.
Yes, it sounds a little contradictory, but only if you are trying to defend not inspecting the attic.

The SOP also requires;
The inspector shall inspect:
the drain, waste and vent system;
Proper inspection would have detected that defect on the vent system.

Components from a number of different home systems may be present in the attic, and the scope of this article is limited to roof defects, so we won’t be covering the complete attic inspection in detail here.

Wear a respirator. Many types of insulation contain particulates that become airborne when the insulation is disturbed. Insulation particulates may cause respiratory problems, and various diseases can be transmitted by airborne particulates containing virus or bacteria from animal urine or feces. Dust masks are inadequate.

The attic is a great place to find evidence of roof leaks, especially if you’ve already seen potential problems on the roof.

Another reason to inspect the attic;

Another course here which may be part of the prerequisite to Certification.

Sorry for the rant on this, but I am just tired of people doing a half fast job and providing a disservice to people and making the industry look bad.

Hope this helps a few understand where I am coming from.

I strongly believe those few that wish to inspect a crawl or attic will and those that don’t will pull all sort of SOP excuses. You won’t change them. It’s in their DNA :slight_smile: Only consumer education and demand can eliminate the lazy inspectors and force better quality inspections.

Punitive measures might change the equation as well.

He or she could use the SOP to defend him/her self.

He or she could also inspect the attic, find the defect, inform their client, provide the service that they were paid for and would want done for themselves.

That would be an even better defense!

In regards to my friends experience, there are other factors involved that make me not want to be that inspector, but the source of discontent was due to the discovery of knob and tube wiring.

For all who use the “not required to” to not inspect the attic space, would YOU buy a house and never look in the attic? I guess so. I inspect every attic, insulation, rats, squirrels, and bats

Obviously the decision to inspect a well insulated attic by entering and not just visually is outweighed by Just doing it, I am very capable of inspecting the attic, and I will add that to my must inspect list. Don’t get me wrong I did enter the attics, I just did not disturb the insulation if it was well layered