Plumbing problem with own home...Mystery Water Problem

David,

Thanks for the detail. I was looking for a better image like this yours, but only came up with what I had posted. I haven’t had a chance to disassemble the drain yet to see if there were any screws in those holes. I can say that there were no screws protruding from the back side where the water was coming out. I don’t really want to remove anything until the insurance company comes out and has a look, which won’t be until Friday evening.

Also, I’d like to dispel any notions that my kids filled that tub up beyond the 4 - 5 inches that I had mentioned. Not that anyone on this group would have known prior to this post, but my 7 year old son is autistic and if anyone knows anything about raising an autistic child they would know that a manifestation of their disorder is being very literal. That is, if they say something it is very exact. They are even very insensitive at times (not intentially) but they don’t understand. For example, if someone gets near my son with bad breath, he will come out and tell them that they have bad breath, no matter what or where the situation is. If there were any water drained from that tub prior to my wife draining the tub, she would have heard it because she was downstairs next to the wall where you can hear everything that drains out of the second floor drain system (i.e. no insulation inside the interior walls).

I truly believe that the water sitting in the bottom of the P-trap was frozen enough to block anything from going down that drain, hence the back-up. I don’t believe a naturally clogged drain would of magically un-clogged itself an hour or two later when I tried filling the tub again and draining to find the leaks, which there were none because any ice in the P-trap would have melted by the heat coming through the ceiling below by that time (where I had opened up the ceiling).

Regards,

Steve