Pointed Screws in Distribution Panels

I’ve just been buying them at my local Menards store. About the same price as Amazon.

1 Like

I rarely ever pay shipping, and I don’t do subscription anything (Prime) just to get a better deal!
At $5 a pkg, I would buy a couple pkgs and another tool that I’m sure to need sooner than later.
Hit the $25 mark and get free shipping.
Easy peasy.

I will leave a screw out if I don’t have the proper one, and a pointy one came out!
You know that friggin’ Murphy guy… it may have come out okay, but as soon as I try and put it back in… POP!!!

1 Like

A 10 pack of panel screws is cheap and I carry some with me, but does anyone choose not to inspect the panel if the wrong type of screws are installed?

Now that explain why you rarely ever pay shipping… :wink:

1 Like

Thank you…we will.

5 Likes

Unfortunately this happens quite a bit.
When you suspect dead-front fasteners have sharp points and threads, use your non contact volt meter to see if the fastener and front are electrically energized.
Nip of the sharp end with pliers or cutting nippers, or dull the point and sharp edges with a file when putting it back in.
Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

not bad. there’s a “brand-x” on amazon that has the same screws but Phillips head in 25 packs for .40 each

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWQ085B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I carry such screws. Well, not carry, but with me, depending on the vehicle used. I also work in an area where I’m a five minute bicycle ride to a hardware store on 90% of jobs, so it’s no big deal to get supplies.

More importantly, I don’t put back the wrong screw if I can help it.

1 Like

No.
The very fact of such a screw is yet more reason to inspect the panel.
Basically: I will always inspect the panel, even if it requires cutting paint, texting with the responsible party, asking for cover from the agent, whatever.

1 Like

What type of ladder do you carry on your bicycle? :laughing:

5 Likes

:rofl:

Dddnfgfd

10 Likes

Whatever the freak I want or need to:

1 Like

Peter: I take a photo and have a standard prepared comment for that observation. If it is safe (limited access area) I do not replace them. If I have to button it up for safety reasons I have an assortment in an old pill bottle in my bag, but I only use the minimum number needed… usually two screws.

2 Likes

I have a few in case I loose one. From experience the odds of dropping one that falls into the gap between the basement floor and the foundation wall is pretty high. :wink:

6 Likes