Police Called During Inspection

There are systems that my contract excludes such as fire, security, data and camera systems as they are far outside the scope of the SoP and some installed systems may be leased and will not be conveyed in the real estate transaction. In my opinion low voltage, communication and security systems should be inspected and tested by a licensed professional only. These systems are under continual upgrade and their condition has nothing to do with the condition of the home.

4 Likes

I agree. Are there state SOP’s that require more?

1 Like

I don’t work for the state, not now not ever… Their SoP is for them not me… :unicorn:

Had to call the cops on an unruly son who had to face up to the fact that he could no longer live in mommy’s basement. Wouldn’t let me in the house. After about 45 minutes called the cops back, said they weren’t coming, get calls about the kid all the time they said. Doesn’t make it right, lazy bastards.

Brought the mom, my client, to a hotel room for the night then went to the police station to give them a piece of my mind.

Didn’t make any money that day, or friends with the cops.

I’m not slamming the police, just the ones in this town in So Cal. I have many cousins who are policemen in Chicago, Worry about them all the time.

1 Like

Wow, kinda at a loss for words on that one.

Easy guess that any of us who have done a few thousand inspections have some nutty stories.

So many dead cats in and around the house that the renter had put a hundred or more stick-on deodorizers all over the house instead of removing the carcasses. And the smell was still gagging.

Overheard the seller chastising his dad for not hiding a moldy area from me. Then the seller overheard me telling the buyer that I suspected that the seller might be hiding other things from me. And then the inspection went to hell in a hand basket. It got real ugly between the seller and I.

Early in my career, I didn’t realize that the smoke alarm was part of a security system. The fire department showed up. The captain started on me. Since, I just wanted to get on with the inspection, I just stood there, but the guy sensed weakness and bore in on me. I launched and he and I are nose to nose yelling. He stormed off, came back and asked for my business card. I figured, “Here we go!” The captain says “My wife and I are buying a house and I want an inspector who checks everything.”

The agent gave me the wrong security code and a deputy showed up. He started berating me for being too stupid for the business…yup, I launched. I dressed that snotty kid down like a three year-old and he stormed off.

Knocked on the door and the renter answered with a Python in his hand. He said that there will be no inspection today. The buyer’s agent and I agreed and backed down the porch. Two weeks later, the place was vacant for the inspection.

During the HUD years, in the basement of a HUD home. Blood everywhere. Satanic symbols, and written on a wall in blood, “You will be sorry when I am gone.” The police found that a neighboring teenage girl had broke in to kill herself, but didn’t know how to “correctly” slice her wrists. She bled a lot, but after a couple of hours and coagulated wounds, she went home. HUD cleaned and remodeled the home, and a few months later it was unrecognizable.

1 Like

I now wear a shirt or jacket with INSPECTOR on the back. To many noisy neighbors calling the cops instead of asking whats going on. I also open all vacant houses and announce home inspection and I say get out. Once I did hear some noises of leaving and found Walmart bags all over the backyard when they pooped in the bag and tied it and threw it in the backyard. Made for an interesting summary of things needed done for the seller.

2 Likes

Thats hilarious!!!