POLL: Web-tech - What do you know?

Since 99% of home inspectors are owner/operators who are responsible for their own marketing, I am interested in finding out what inspectors know about Website development. There are three basic categories jumbled in there (Web development, image editing, FTP). Check what applies in each category.

This should be interesting.

I’m not a professional web developer in any way, but I do know quite a bit as far as posting HTML on my web site.

I can do just about anything when it comes to posting articles on my website. (with no hidden codes). I’ve made many mistakes along the way and I’ve learned how to correct them as I went along. That’s enables me to edit just about anything on my website.

If it’s complicated, I call my webmaster.

Let me be the first to say that your advice on this thread to people to need help often inspires me. :smiley:

Should I cast my vote? :slight_smile:

There should be an option for:

I am an expert in Web technology, and I know that “I am an expert in HTML and a mark-up language (PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.).” should actually be “I am an expert in HTML and a scripting language (PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.).”

Heh.

(HTML is a mark-up language, PHP, ASP, Perl, etc are all scripting languages).

Must be a problem with your poll . . . wouldn’t let me cast a vote . . . open for what, 3 hours? Noticed very few voting.
. . . OK, now what’s going on, after I posted the above, it let me in . . . don’t know about the rest of you but lately have been having fun getting on the message board and other places on nachi.org . . . maybe it’s solar flares . . .
Also agree with Chris, should read “I am an expert in HTML and a scripting language (PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.).”

Spank, Spank, Spank…:mrgreen:

Here’s what I know: I know how to find and hire a person like the one who made post #4 of this thread :cool: .

How did that guy get so good with that apple in his face? :mrgreen:

Well, you know that apples are the best computers, right? :slight_smile:

Now that NACHI TV switched over to MACs I guess I have to agree.

I hear many good things about Macs, but I have already been brain washed
as a Windows clone… I can’t help myself…:smiley:

I know. I had “mark-up” on the brain as I was typing HTML. Couldn’t go back to change the poll after I caught the error, so I’m not going to stress over it. Since you have Grand Poobah access, maybe you can fix it since you recognize the error.

An F-22 in the hands of a Cessna pilot is as useful as a poopy-flavored lolly pop.

It’s early. People who are proficient in Web development will be the most likely to answer (bragging rights). It is hard to get people who don’t even understand some of the questions to answer.

Ain’t technology grand?

I think the issue of that misprint has been cleared up.

So far i hate php But give me time

OK Expert. I emailed a question to you a while back and didn’t hear back. I repeated my questions to Tim Eaton today. I know your busy creating the “8th Wonder of the World” but please take a few minutes and give me a tad of advice. Check with Tim if you deleted my email.

Thanks,

I can do HTML, CSS, and some PHP. PHP is really great if you are patient and have a local test bed, but there are plenty of people that will write scripts and applications at pretty low cost. I had some things done in the past (not for inspection site) using Rent-A-Coder. I also have a buddy in New Zealand that did some good work for cheap as well.

I have a degree in Computer Science and I’m A+ and Network+ Certified… is anyone hiring? I can inspect and be your IT Dept … LOL :slight_smile:
Seriously!
www.goodinspector.com/resume.htm

I have a degree in Computer Science, know about 15 different computer languages, can definately do everything listed. Would probably be more usefull if I could speak 15 different languages though…

It’s been very interesting to talk to all the ex ibm and other tech employees lately that have buying Home Inspector Pro. I’ll try to start explaining something and find out they used to program, or worked in the tech field. Must be that being an inspector works the same part of the brain.

It’s funny… when Nick and I were working on the original online exam (in his living room) we would call up people who’d just finished it to get their input and find out a little about their background as an inspector. I was always surprised how often I heard, “I used to be in [some IT field] but I decided to try inspecting because of the IT job market.” This was early in my career as an IT guy, so it definitely got me worried :slight_smile: Luckily I stuck with it, 'cause working for InterNACHI has certainly been a worthwhile experience.