Polystyrene beads as attic insulation

Has anyone come across EPS (polystyrene beads) being used as insulation in the attic? Is this even permitted?
This is in a New Jersey shore house built in 1978. The beads are under fiberglass batts.

Busted bean bag chair :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess that is one way to put it to good use.

Report what you see and what you believe. And narrate (refer) from there.

Polystyrene contains the toxic substances Styrene and Benzene, suspected carcinogens and neurotoxins that are hazardous to humans.

I’ve seen it 12" to 14" deep in some attics. :flushed:

3 Likes

Ecobead, EPS, Ethenylbenzene homopolymer.
Untreated EPS foam burns at 650° to 700°F with a flame source. It won’t continue burning on its own until 840° to 930°F is reached. Wood burns at 480° to 660°F

2 Likes

That answers my primary concern of being a fire hazard.
Thank you.

Well noted.
Thank you

2 Likes

Morning, Kert.
Hope this post finds you well.

Be on the lookout for perlite in attics and basements. That was I though the white objects were at first but notice the prefect orbital shape and sided with EPS.

Perlite insulation John Mansville was a large producer…

Health and Perlit. Perlite has been characterized as a nuisance or or inert dust. Exposure to such dusts can sometimes result in temporary physical irritation, discomfort, impaired visibility, and enhancement of accidental potential, but not to health impairment.

1 Like

Are you sure it is not perlite? It can look and feel similar to Polystyrene…

Good question. I have never handled perlite. But this has all the characteristics of EPS. Including the static cling. From the pictures that i have found of perlite it looks more like EPS.