Pood Deck Crack and Tile being pushed-in!

Originally Posted By: mzwerin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What do you guys think is at work here…

–Be patient while the 5 images load –

A Leak under the pool deck?
Poorly compacted sand under the deck?
Something else?
Costly huh?

![](upload://cBY3jII4S7vedQF8o7LJv92YOPj.jpeg)
The main deck crack is more than 2 feet long!

![](upload://sTPdOnW8799irchhdGlYXV3VvaE.jpeg)
The next crack runs between the two mounts for the entry handrail - about 5" long.

![](upload://1ryOVnMJRLiU9A620qoVzoCk82T.jpeg)
Notice the blue-tinted moisture (chemical reaction?) at the base of the handrail?

![](upload://2ncKBHeF5hJuchVtt6qIZcATLAq.jpeg)
One chunk of this mess has already fallen in, another bit is about to fall.

![](upload://oacgZ5RuMp3lvR5VgITlXR2JMDV.jpeg)
Look at just how far the pool tile is being pushed in! Radical huh?

Any insight to this dilemna will be greatly appreciated!
Do you know anyone in S.E. Florida qualified to render such a repair?

--
Michael Zwerin
Co-Owner: MTC Home Inspections
Palm Beach County Florida
SE FL NACHI Chapter - Director

Originally Posted By: jpope

It appears to be pretty isolated and is most likely the result of improper rail installation (no additional slab reinforcement) and perpetuated by lack of a control joint (parallel to the pool wall with coping in the joint).

Should be a relatively easy and inexpensive repair.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks Jeff.

If it turns out to be only that, it should be a relatively easy / not too expensive repair. I'm more concerned about what is needed to fix the inside of the pool & less so, regarding repairing the decking. Though I do have a large stock of the original blue tile to replace the damaged ones.

Another detail about the poor finishing on this pool: Threre's a significant gap between the top of the gunite/tile area & the bottom of the deck -- almost around the entire pool. This has created a perfect place for mold & fungus to grow & thrive. IMHO, this should be sealed.

I have a referral for one pool repair contractor down here but I plan to get more than one bid for the repairs. Unfortunately, there are very few pool companies with good reputations. Most have "terrible" track records.

Anyone else want to take a stab at "What is wrong with this pool?"

--
Michael Zwerin

Originally Posted By: mmorris1

I worked in Technical Services for a major silicone manufacturer. The discoloration around the rail base could potentially be from the use of the wrong type of silicone sealant. Most of the silicone sealants you find in home improvement centers or hardware stores are called “acetoxy cure” what this means is that the sealant reacts with moisture in the air to cure, and while its reacting it liberates acetic acid in gas form (smells like vinegar). When an acetoxy cure sealant is applied to concrete, cement, etc its acidic pH will react with the surface and could cause discoloration, but will definitely form a salt like substance.

Hope this helps!!!

Originally Posted By: jpope

mzwerin wrote:
Another detail about the poor finishing on this pool: Threre's a significant gap between the top of the gunite/tile area & the bottom of the deck -- almost around the entire pool.

Again, this is caused by lack of an appropriate control/expansion joint.

The pool body will settle. Nothing can be done to stop that. With a proper control joint, the slab edge will settle with the pool body. The flexible coping strip will keep the joint properly sealed.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Kewl guys.

Will keep all this in mind when I "listen" to the estimates from my local pool repair contractors.

Again, Thanks!

--
Michael Zwerin