Pool fatality

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

120v lights may not have been allowed in the old Sarasota/Charlotte addendums but they all went away when we adopted the Florida Unified Building Code.

Florida, the whole state, is on the NEC, unmodified. The NEC allows 120v lights.

Gee whiz link.
http://www2.iccsafe.org/florida_building_code/
Pool code is chapter 1 article 424

As for the pump. You need the twist lock and GFCI if the receptacle is within 5' of the tub. You are right about the 3' cord but it can be a regular plug..

*** 2002 NEC
680.21(A)(5) Cord-and-Plug Connections. Pool-associated motors shall be permitted to employ cord-and-plug connections. The flexible cord shall not exceed 900 mm (3 ft) in length. The flexible cord shall include an equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with 250.122 and shall terminate in a grounding-type attachment plug.

680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) Receptacles.
(1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection

(5) GFCI Protection. All 125-volt receptacles located within 6.0 m (20 ft) of the inside walls of a pool or fountain shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Receptacles that supply pool pump motors and that are rated 15 or 20 amperes, 120 volt through 240 volts, single phase, shall be provided with GFCI protection.

As long as the receptacle for your pump is 20' from the pool or inside an enclosure, it does not need GFCI.
If you are looking at above ground pools these probably come into play but I would think most inground owners want to install the pump away from the pool so you don't hear it.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I just did one this morning, brand new, with the county approval sticker, no gfci on the pump motor circuit, 14x28 inground pool. Railings at the steps into the pool aren’t required here either!

Joe, how old is your book icon_wink.gif

680 was one of the articles that was restructured in 2002

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

1999, and I dont believe the requirements have changed. In the case of my brother’s pump, it is outside and within 10’ of the pool. In my area, most installations are similar to this.

Many have flex cords, with twist locks, and are not in dwellings or protected enclusures. They are open to the elements. Intermatic timer panels are common, and are adjacent to the filter and pumps.

So, you are saying that in the scenario I depicted, I am correct. I see nothing different from your content than mine. GFCIs would be required...no?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Yup, You are right.

If it is inside the 20’ circle it requires GFCI, if it is inside the 10’ circle it requires the twistlock, single outlet.

I’m sorry I don’t see above ground pools around here and I made some bad ASSumptions. <we know the joke> icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

This was an inground pool. Steel frame, vinyl liner.

I also interpreted the code to include the need for mechanical protection of ground cables connected to, and between, motors and such. In my brother's case, they are flapping in the breexe, not even dressed in...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

I’m not sure where there is a rule about physical protection for the solid #8s. I dont like them flapping around either but I see it all the time in new construction. I do find it strange that there isn’t. I also see the light J boxes sitting up on 3’ legs of PVC with no supplimental support. I am not sure how they get away with it but they do.

BTW this is on $500k-$1m homes!

I just finished building my pool and I spent a lot of time in these codes trying to do things right.

I was very dissapointed in the quality of my inspections. I bet they were not here 10 minutes total for the 5 inspections I had.