Poor craftsmanship or something more concerning?

I was just thinking, if it were my house 10 years ago when my kids were younger, I would guess we wouldn’t make it 2 weeks without a glass of milk being spilled of the counter into the register. That’ll smell nice.

1 Like

When I was a kid, I thought it was a place to sweep the crumbs. Until my mom caught me.

3 Likes

You were just prepping. Storing some food away in a safe place in case of emergency.

2 Likes

Of course! I almost always find something that makes it a dead giveaway that permits were not pulled, such as a couple receptacles missing GFCI in the kitchen

2 Likes

Good idea! Thanks for sharing.

Asymmetrical placement of electrical receptacles which is considered a cosmetic nuisance defect. Recommend correction for by a qualified contractor for mental stability and visual comfort. :grinning:

1 Like

Brian pointed out some things to me that I would agree with… I think the narrative may be a little harsh, or too alarming. Feel free to adjust based on the circumstance. I think if you know for sure that it is a flip, or that no permits were pulled, then it should be mentioned that defects could be concealed. However, I think your agreement or basic report disclaimer should suffice in that we cannot “see inside walls”…
I wrote that very recently after reading an insurance article about inspecting flipped houses, and it seems like almost every flip I inspect are done without permits.

1 Like

I also think we all have different expectations of a flipped home. I was in a perfectly good flip the other day. The seller did not fix everything in this used home. The seller did just enough to bring it to market.

I think he was smart actually. Rather than try to hide or conceal issues or perform substandard repairs or modifications, he focused on immediate issues and cosmetics. I called that fair. I wish more would operate this way.

2 Likes

Agreed.
But why go through the agent: if it’s an online public record, it’s a public record. They are called different things in different places. I assume you mean the building records, in order to verify the huge span was designed not just done.

1 Like

Not all municipalities will give out such info online, and most charge a fee for copies anymore. Just because it’s “public record” doesn’t make it free…

If the extremely bad finish work on the ceiling is any indication, and the home has joists and not rafters, then the joists would be running from left-right / right-left in the picture spanning the whole thing and if a wall was removed it didn’t really support anything. Sheetrock is hung perpendicular to joists 99% of the time. The odd thing about the ceiling is that the drywall beveled edges are humped. It takes complete lack of talent to do that. Butt joints on a long run under the right lighting will almost always stand out when someone that doesn’t know what they are doing or don’t give a crap is doing the finish work. Those are ridiculous. . . . .I would almost wonder if the ceiling had cracks or blisters at the joints and tape and joint compound was put over the texture and not feathered in.

Did the dotted line across the kitchen make you cringe Bert??? It sticks out worse than the receptacles.

@jyoung42 Have fun on this one!!! Make sure those new pot lights are rated for this type of installation too. Those look like LED lights which have been known to put out quite a lot of heat above the ceiling. . . .

There wouldn’t be much money to be made if things were done without cutting corners and with permits. It’s sort of catch 22.

1 Like

Flippers.

I’ve seen perfectly good houses ruined by flippers who tried to do structural work without an engineer.

The most terrifying words I know…it’s a “owner/broker flip”!! They’re the BEST!! (I really, really need a sarcasm font! LOL!!)