Poor Installation

General contractor claims that this application is acceptible, what are my fellow NACHI members opinions…

The installer used 90 brackets on top of concrete tile roofing to secure a vinyl patio cover…

napa 017.jpg

I’m just not even sure how to say how many ways this appears to be wrong. The lack of structural support is amazing. Do you all get rain or snow in the area where you are?

Rain can be heavy, but no snow…

What would you recommend? When I recommended FE I was called out by the general contractor…

Call them as you see them, then stand by your report.

This is just wrong… Damaged shingles, brackets will eventually twist with strong winds, rain, snow or settlement, causing the sealants to become damaged and the hardware to become loose, further damaging the shingles, weak structural support, etc, etc…

You have put your recommendations in writing… If the Gen. Contractor disagrees with your recommendations, and considers it proper and safe, tell him to put his reasons on his company letterhead and sign it.

Bet he won’t…

The only thing right about this is the angle of the brace! It is contractors like him that make it oh so necessary for HI’s.

I agree, get him to put his blessing on his letterhead and sign it, make your report as you see it.

[quote=thejnicki]
General contractor claims that this application is acceptible, what are my fellow NACHI members opinions…

The installer used 90 brackets on top of concrete tile roofing to secure a vinyl patio cover…/quote

Was the method of attachment designed by an Architect or Engineer for attachment details?
Don’t see much of concrete tile roof around here, but that was a good call on your part.

I would stick to my guns and what was said, if the Contractor will sign off on his letterhead, that works for me and most of us.
Installation of this type of attachment would be under the control of a Designer or the Manufacturer of the Product addittions.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Do the lags go all the way into structural members? IMHO this would seem to destroy the concrete tiles with all the holes drilled. I know you get windy conditions in Vacaville and I would think the vibrations alone would compromize the tiles, pulverizing the concrete and leaving voids under the brackets. BUT - as Marcel said, will the contractor give his blessings on his letterhead? Again, this is IMHO . . .

Had a simular patio addition that was not right…but the (Selling)RE said it was OK because her Termite Guy said “No Prob”…I said ok, have him put it in writing and go with that…The termite guy said no…HEHE

[quote=mcyr]

[quote=thejnicki]

The installer used 90 brackets on top of concrete tile roofing to secure a vinyl patio cover…
[/quote

Was the method of attachment designed by an Architect or Engineer for attachment details? We know that answer.

Marcel[/quote]

Failure to repair all known hazards reported or found by the inspector can result in structural failure, property damage, serious injury, or death.
Never attempt to DO IT YOURSELF.

I did tell my client that if the general claims this install to be correct, then he should have no problem offering documentation.
I gave my documnetation as: Support system for patio cover did not appear adeqaute and has jeopardized the integrity of the roof tiles, this condition warrants further evaluation and repair by a licensed contractor.

I would tell the client to ask the contractor for the MFGs installation instructions to be sure it is proper.