Possible Enhancements to the message board

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Below is a list of enhancements progams for phpBB (the program that runs this message board) that are already written and ready to be downloaded and installed.

1. Allows Users To keep a list Of Favorite Topics

2. Does not increase viewed count when author is viewing his/her own topic

3. adds a printer button on the topic view page, which leads to a lightweight view of the topic for printing. Allows reader to set up custom pagination for printer output.

4. Allow users to save their posts as drafts so they can begin a post and finish it later. Since it is a draft, others will not see it until it is done.

5. Does not increase viewed count when author is viewing his/her own topic

6. redirect users directly to their message after making a new post, instead of the "Click here to view your message, here for Forum index" message screen.

and my favorite ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)
7. allows members to compile a list of users to ignore. Posts of the ignored users will be replaced by a message that the user is being ignored. There is a link that will show the post if the member chooses to read it.

Perhaps if there is enough interest in one or more of these enhancements we can ask Chris to see if there would be any programing issues and if not install them.

Which ones if any would you like to see?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Good ideas

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

Good ideas all…

I vote for all the enhancements ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Me 4.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jlerch

WOW they’re all good ideas!

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

all good ideas for me

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Let’s implement them, Chris!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

I like them all, but I will be the only one reading my posts. icon_cry.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Oh yeah… these would help! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd get curious and choose to read a few of yours once in a while Todd.

--
Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!

Originally Posted By: jjudy

I like it, question? Is # 2 and # 5 the same?

Jeff Judy

President

Ohio State Chapter

jjudy@oh.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Just a quick comment–

I'm aware of the phpBB mods that exist, and actually have a number of mods already installed into the system. What it comes down to is that the NACHI message board has been re-coded in a number of places to integrate more closely with our membership database (that's why you can see who's a NACHI member and who's not, etc). I can certainly add these mods, but because of the changes I've made to phpBB, they probably won't just "plug in" to the system. This means that the five or six modifications mentioned could take a number of days. These are days that could be spent on projects that are, in my opinion, much more important. There are a lot of things that would be nice (and that's partially why we're hiring a full-time programmer), but when all is said and done, do you really need these modifications? Personally, I'd rather have a fully functional and robust online education system, new tips of the day, and a discounted E&O insurance portal (all things that I'm working on right now).

Okay... so maybe that wasn't completely quick. Bottom line is--how much do you want these things? Enough to divert attention away from other major projects?

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://9nd8WPS091T5xawy1Mj6Etm0a8X.html)

Originally Posted By: tallen

Webmaster wrote:
Just a quick comment--

I'm aware of the phpBB mods that exist, and actually have a number of mods already installed into the system. What it comes down to is that the NACHI message board has been re-coded in a number of places to integrate more closely with our membership database (that's why you can see who's a NACHI member and who's not, etc). I can certainly add these mods, but because of the changes I've made to phpBB, they probably won't just "plug in" to the system. This means that the five or six modifications mentioned could take a number of days. These are days that could be spent on projects that are, in my opinion, much more important. There are a lot of things that would be nice (and that's partially why we're hiring a full-time programmer), but when all is said and done, do you really need these modifications? Personally, I'd rather have a fully functional and robust online education system, new tips of the day, and a discounted E&O insurance portal (all things that I'm working on right now).

Okay... so maybe that wasn't completely quick. Bottom line is--how much do you want these things? Enough to divert attention away from other major projects?

NO. Finish what is started first.

One step at a time.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

No I’m with TODD

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Chris, Of course work on the more important projects first. Please put these Mods on your “to do list” at the bottom and install them when you have the time. Esp # 1, 4 and 7 icon_biggrin.gif

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jlerch

So how is it going with hiring a full time programer icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Modifications and portals and things. How about all of the above? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: lkage

Webmaster wrote:
Personally, I'd rather have a fully functional and robust online education system, new tips of the day, and a discounted E&O insurance portal (all things that I'm working on right now).

Same here.

Appreciate what you're doing, Chris. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei