Possible to get a Level III without ever having done a fee-paid IR inspection?

Jeff you are being scammed why spread the Thornberry junk to every thread. Thornberry holding a plaque has all you guys running around hollering the sky is falling

Its been watered down enough already.

By allowing the most vile, hated and dishonest vendor in the history of the industry to pretend that he has become a CMI … Nick has managed to manipulate some CMI detractors to come to its defense.

I would like to think that Nick would have more class … and CMI more value … than to resort to such a thing, but it is what it is.

We know that Thornberry’s products are trash because of how he is forced to lie about them to sell them (i.e. false testimonials, phony seals of approval, etc.) … but the Certified Master Inspector designation should hold to a higher standard, IMO.

I have said what I have said … and have sufficient documentation from third party government entities to back me up … but that is neither here nor there. Everyone but the dishonest and crooked vendor is fully aware of the many lies and misrepresentations I have referred to.

Nick owes it to the inspectors who … in good faith … have paid him hundreds and thousands of dollars for this designation, to keep CMI from being polluted with such filth. It cannot be of value … and be thornberryish … at the same time.

CMI is a marketing designation that one can purchase for fee.

An SNT-TC-1A compliant Level III Thermography certification is a professional qualification

Nate is a parasite

The essence of CMI is well represented by the fake plaque award photos. It’s a marketing facade. There is little to no actual substance behind it.

Did I mention that Nate is a parasite?

True, but missing 1/2 of the truth. Here, I’ll state it correctly for you:

CMI is a professional designation designed to use for marketing purposes that you can purchase for a fee if you can qualify. The requirements include an un-lopsided amount of education and experience.

True, but missing 1/2 the truth. Here, I’ll state it correctly for you:

Level III is a professional qualification that you can purchase for a fee. The requirements DO NOT include experience.

You can become an Oklahoma state-licensed home inspector and a Level III thermographer without ever having performed any kind of inspection on anything ever. Zero experience required. :wink:

Level 3 thermographers undertake the highest level of thermography and enjoy the most freedom. Since they develop the procedures, they are free to develop new ones as and when required. They usually understand more about the laws of physics as they relate to thermography. Level 3′s often get involved with machine prognostics and get involved with preventing problems from reoccuring at the highest level through recommending thermodynamic corrective actions. He is able to perform and direct all types of thermodynamic measurements, and analysis. Level 3′s are qualified to establish thermography programs, determine acceptance or failure criteria, interpret codes and standards, perform prognostics. They are also usually familiar with other test methods and can recommend supplementary tests. A Level 3 thermographer should have received an additional 32 hours of training, and should have 1920 hours of documented experience over a 48 month period.

Thank for highlighting the word “should” Linas.

It is in stark contrast to the word “must” used by the CMI application.

Speaking of CMI, how about must for a minimum, verifiable number of Inspections?

Set the bar higher, or just set it?

That’s laughable. CMI and NACHI would fail to exist if they had those qualification standards.

There is no bar and if one whines loud enough he can get if for free no fee required and that is no BS.

Whats gona happen when all of these kids age 50 and below become CMI’s at a given price then they start a argument on who is the best CMI and whala there will suddenly be a next higher designation and a higher fee guess who is making the money. I have no crystal ball but I can see further down the road than the average Bear

We all know what is behind the curtain. Go jerk someone else off with this balogna. YOU wait, just wait till one of these so called CMI’s go and blow up something or kill someone. Turds will hit the fan and the roaches will scatter.
We all know what has been created. When the stink makes big headlines talk about a mess. But hey we all signed up honestly now didn’t we.

Sorry Nick, but if you put them both on a scale of justice, this is what CAN happen.

Level III. Education. Pay fee. No Inspections REQUIRED.

CMI. Education. Pay fee. No Inspections REQUIRED.

Neither requires an inspection but the difference is, a Level III Thermographer may never perform an inspection as it is not merely an inspection related qualification.

On the other hand, a CMI is an Inspection Designation, related solely to the Home Inspection field, that does not REQUIRE an inspection to obtain.

Your wrong. Please read the CMI qualification page…

BTW*… *the learning curve to become a good inspector is much much harder and longer than to use an infrared camera. This was stated to me by many Level III thermographers.

In Texas it takes 450 hours of education with field experience just to get your HI license so you can get started as an inspector. You must pass your state exam as well. It takes another 3 years to become a CMI. (btw… CMI is not just related to home inspections, but also many commercial inspectors are CMI as well.)

Learning to use an IR camera does not take as much time and education. Let’s be real. Every single Level I, II, III thermographer I met in our building science class said they were lost in the woods when it comes to a building. These guys did not do inspection because they did not understand IR cameras, but because they had no construction background.

When you say “not merely an inspection related qualification”… you should really be saying a building inspector is not “merely a thermographer”. Both qualifications are needed to do a proper infrared scan of a building. But, the inspector side of it is much harder and longer to learn be a good inspector. InterNACHI’s Infrared Certification process takes over 110 hours to finish (with IR and construction classes). Even then, that is just scratching the surface. You can go out and call yourself a Level I thermographer, with no inspection skills (zero) in less than 32 hours … and if your IR teacher also never did an inspection before, how can he teach inspectors to do building scans? Let’s be honest.

A Level III thermographer, with no construction and inspecting experience should never step inside a buiding with his camera. If he has any understanding, he will tell you the same thing. A person is out of touch with reality if they say other wise.

Hey John, how is that class of yours working out now that Infraspection is offering one for $199.00???

I recently had a Level III thermographer/teacher sit through our entire infrared webinar class. This was part of his glowing review he gave us for our class.
http://www.infrared-certified.com (our class is LIVE and cost $400)

Quote:
 	 		 			 				 					Originally Posted by **Erich Black (via email)** 					 				
			*To John McKenna

When I sat in on your program, I found it to be very high quality & professional.*

Below is little info on Mr Black…

http://www.tomwblack.com/training_main.html

Black & Associates provides World Class Training Courses…
Level I, II, and III

• Customer on site thermographic training
  • Specifically tailored programs
  • Hardware and software training
  • Hands on
  • Practical demonstrations along with power point training
  • Conducted by certified Level-III thermographer
  • Certificates and laminated wallet cards
  • Flexibility in location, start times with an emphasis toward work schedules
  • Cost savings

Previous clients for infrared certification include:

**Large Public Utilities
Department of Defense (DOD)
U.S. Army
Underwriting Insurance Companies
School Systems
Engineering Companies
Large Industrial Customers

**Cost $1295

(also… thanks go to Will Decker for helping us write the class and Nick Gromicko for all of his help as well. InterNACHI continues to provide high quality educational options and low prices for it’s members).

Every month, for over 6 years, we continue to receive a flood of very positive comments from our students who take our class. Thanks!

From (I love getting emails like this - Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits - InterNACHI®️ Forum)

Good for you John! I have seen guys that think they are high and mighty in knowledge crawling on hands and knees after being given the correct info. We had just one instance with IR in Sault Ste Marie and I believe that was it. Client got a premium Inspection at I believe almost 1000 dollars.
Lets just say the outcome was not that good for the Home Inspector.

Last week we broke all our previous attendance records. Things are looking good. Our IR class is the only one out there that is a LIVE webinar. That makes us very very different from all our competition. Our reputation pulls people in from all over the world… every month.

Plus we provide discounts on IR cameras that are so deep that our training ends up being free for many people. Good news travels fast.

We can provide financing for IR cameras and class.

Plus all the benefits InterNACHI offers with our class. It creates the perfect storm.:mrgreen:

I have a gift. I have been a teacher for 40 years. Our positive comments run about 99%.

As Joe Farsetta once said… teaching is an art form, not just someone who can quote facts.

My banker called to tell me he has been watching our growth for many years and wants to offer me some special deals. My students are my friends and I enjoy each of them as they give me feedback from time to time.

It seems after 6 years that people who keep saying I will never make it would realize that they sound silly. Sometimes I cry all the way to the bank. :slight_smile: