Potential inspector salary

I don’t think I’ve really given out flyers some brochures.

What is the general result of flyers? I would assume that some offices would allow that, most others would ROUND FILE them the minute you walked out the door.

Leaving some literature or brochures in offices you work with may help continue a presence there…

Thoughts?

Gary’s flier is un-selling him. A wash at best.

Inspectors correctly believe that consumers should hire professional inspectors to do inspections, because that is their business and field of expertise. But then when it comes to creating a marketing piece, they don’t hire someone who writes copy, they don’t hire a graphics artist, they don’t bounce the flier off me first, and they don’t have it professionally printed. And Gary is not unique. This is the mindset of most inspectors.

Very interesting! Nick, if you could post a new flier for Gary, we would better understand. Thanks!

Flyers, brochures none of that has worked for me at all. I tried them and they just get thrown away. When I went to Melbourne and went to their Realtors association building, there was about 100 different brochures in their. WASTE of time, in my opinion. The only one that stood out had a pink little note on the top indicating a discount of some type.

What worked for me is that 100% of the time we are marketing when on the job. ALWAYS acting professional, dressing professional, speaking professional and ensuring the client is comfortable that they hired the right company during this stressful time. They are spending alot of money and want to feel at ease they are making an informed decision.

When that happens is then the buyer recommends you and then will use you in the future. The buyers agent is just happy that you were thorough and honest and conveyed you findings in a professional and factual manner. Not alarming and not soft, just honest.

The seller now wants that guy who tore their house apart to work for them when they are buying and the listing agent HAS to use you because the old seller new buyer wants to use you.

So in one inspection you should have 4 people working FOR you and doing your marketing FOR you. That is just in 1 job think of doing more than 1 job and guess what it costs? ZERO! ZIP! NADA! NIL! NEIN!

Why should I market, why not let others do it for me?

Give them something to BRAG about, whatever it is, find your Niche and work it.

1 Like

John,

Do you want to know potential or realistically?

Likely working for another inspector firm residential about 20-50k. Maybe 20-50 hours a week.

Stats and numbers don’t lie. Your average home inspector will complete 100-200 inachi sop inspections per year. Below average under 100, above average over 200. Let’s figure about $350 per inspection. $70k gross @ 200 per year. Now back out all tools, business expenses, advertising, licenses, auto, insurance, and you’re down to about $50k.

I would not get into this business for 50k a year. Stats show that’s the norm. What maybe 10k-15k inspectors in US? 90% will be in business in 5 years, remaining 10% = 1k-1.5k out of that pool at least 50% make the average 50k per year. I bet you only 500-1000 net over 100k per year on a consistent basis over the last 3-5 years.This does not include add-on services or commercial inspectors. Hey, it’s all really what what you want to achieve though, some inspectors are happy with making 25k a year and charging $150 inspections.

Potential, yes. It will take motivation and dedication. Construction type background is a plus, and I’m not talking about a ‘‘handyman’’. Prior successful business experience or sales a plus. You better be a people person as well.

Business success is a MUST. I could care less how much you know. If you have no business or entrepreneurial drive you will FAIL.

Proof - I have seen some of the smartest guys in this industry starve and some of the most mediocre guys thrive and be very successful. It is first and foremost a BUSINESS. Not a trade, a PROFESSION.

I once had a guy tell me, if you want to see if you have what it takes to be a true business man. Go buy a ton of stuff you want, but cannot afford. If you find a way to pay for it, you are a successful business man. If you don’t consider being an employee. That guy is my buddy and worth about $64,000,000 in liquid assets. Smart guy.

Russ is 100% right and one of the smartest inspectors out there everyone here should be listen.

You must market but you should be spending your time inspecting. Give other people a reason to market for you. Do a better job. If you are the best inspector in the world it will not work if you are a terrible communicator or not very personable.

A won over a listing agent today by using the wasp spray, that my bug guy gave me, to clear the exterior of the wasps that were scaring everyone. Above and beyond, yes, … easy, yes and worth my time if I can get someone else to sell our services.

btw Russ, I have started using your system, I will let you know how it works for me.

I will accept my 97% Royalty fees at my company address.

Hint Hint Hint?

I will not argue with you. But I will bet you a wooden nickle if you were in Memphis, TN in 2008 until today doing what you were doing from 1995 to 2000 you would be doing far more marketing than inspecting and barley earning a 1/8 of what you were earning.

You just never know when the worst housing recession in the history of your service area will take a giant **** on you.:wink:

I really beleive what Russell said. On the job marketing is the real deal. I land more jobs with that basic technique. I’m starting my forth yr in business. This is a run down of my yearly gross earnings.
1st year - 17K
2nd year - 28k
3rd year - 60k
I also work full time as a firefighter, so I managed to do this working part time.
Remember your selling yourself, image is everything.

1 Like

I am desperately trying to increase my volume to work with this system also. Not just for the for the financial end of it, but I would be the only one in NJ and probably the Northeast working that way.:wink:

I am the only one in the U.S. that uses this system. As far as I know anyways…

Not if I get my way!:mrgreen:

LOL…DAMNIT!

Come on board, would be great. I know John Shishilla is starting and there will be another one of my companies in Ohio within the next year.

I will start it up and get it going…Got a great guy wanting to get into the business and has a licensed electrical engineer that wants to do it as a team with him. They guy is a go getter and pretty damn smart. I have known him for 43 years…Yea its my big bro…he will be an NACHI member soon…

Gary your site is not #1 on Google. I found a map listing however it gave me no way to get to your website. That’s a big problem in my eyes. I search Kansas City Home Inspectors.

I have to agree with Billy. I went through the first 13 pages on Google and did not find your website in the organic results. The non-linked map was the only thing item listed.

Your alt text for images is not good. Your keywords are not terms the public would look for until the 7th or 8th one. Preinspections and maintenance consulting mean nothing to those looking for a home inspector. “Kansas City Home Inspector” isn’t listed until 7th. Your site needs work to get any results.

Here’s some of the fluff you probably are seeing. From the British Columbia’s Master Franchisor’s website for “A Buyer’s Choice”:

"According to Williams, it usually takes about three to four months from the day a new franchisee signs their final paperwork to the day they do their first home inspection. During that time, they undergo rigorous training, including 10 binders of home study materials, and an intensive two-week boot camp in Halifax.

After the boot camp is over, the new franchisee is ready to become a licensed home inspector – a must in BC. (INACHI education may help but the INACHI “certifcation” is not recognized in BC; check with your own jurisdiction.)

“They can walk back into their business after boot camp, do an inspection on day one, and put a cheque straight into the bank,” Williams says.

Once they’re up to speed, A Buyer’s Choice franchisee can do 600 inspections per year at about $450 per inspection – creating a gross income of $270,000 per year."

A FANTASY!!!

Lots of work.

HubSpot’s Website Grader

Website Grade - 36

Know why his website is #1 on google? When you look at the right hand corner it says “Signed in” and it automatically brings up the #1 site that YOU VIEW.