Power around bathroom vanities

I’m looking to renovate a bathroom, and wanted to see what the current guidance is on power receptacles near bathroom sinks.

Specifically, I’m hoping to put a power receptacle inside a drawer in the vanity, so that a hair dryer can simply be plugged in, and left in the drawer.

When I did my kitchen I installed so-called “T-slot twenties” (as I was informed they’re called in electrical parlance), but I’m unclear on the distance needed from the sink.

thanks!

Under the NEC a receptacle needs to be within 3’ of the bowl. It is not required to be 20 amp device , just on a 20 amp circuit.

T-slot twenties? Must be a regional thing. Never heard them called that.

Jeff

I do not completely understand your question(s), But, all bathroom receptacles must have ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection, in the USA.

“I’m hoping to put a power receptacle inside a drawer in the vanity”

OK but how do you plan for the wire that will flex when the drawer is opened and closed?

A “T-slot twenty” is a 20 amp receptacle which has a T slot for the neutral.

Why would anyone need that in a bathroom…Space heater maybe?

Look at your hair dryers at Walmart. Pull a lot of power. When I do voltage drop tests, I assume 20 in kitchen, bath, utility room, and (now here is the one I really do not understand) dining area. But I double check the panel to validate my readings.

What a great Idea! My gal said she wants drawer just like it to store her curling iron, cotton balls and rubbing alcohol.

Sounds good, a heat source, a flammable liquid and easily ignited cotton balls.

In my area, it is not unusual to have a GFCI in the powder room protecting the other 2 bathroom’s receptacle so having a T-Slot Twenty would be a good idea.

A twenty Amp circuit is uncommon in my area for bathrooms but with most new blowdryers and curling irons they are drawing 15-16 amps so I would install a 20AMP in the bathroom (GFCI protected of course). What I would not due is install one in a drawer where the wiring has to flex every time you open or close it.

They make drawer receptacles search Google for Drawer Receptacles. I would have no problem installing them if they’re listed and not home made. Here’s one example:

https://www.dockingdrawer.com/uploads/2/7/6/6/27661581/578897963_orig.jpeg

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/products/clear-clutter-and-dock-discreetly-with-the-docking-drawer

I have never seen one but thanks for answering my concern Robert.

If you look at the photo I guess that you could make one by mounting the receptacle to the back of the cabinet and cutting out to rear of the drawer so that the receptacle is accessible. Then the flexibility issue wouldn’t be a problem.

A few other things to consider. The receptacle requires GFCI protection so the GFCI device would need to be readily accessible. The drawer receptacle would not meet the requirements of 210.52(D) so another receptacle would be required adjacent to the sink.

That is actually a really cool idea IMO. My wife has cords all over the place and it would tidy things up. I myself have a few, the razor and clippers could go in a drawer.

Unless the cord has the T slot configuration there is no need for a 20 amp device. Except for the slot arrangement they are the same as a 15 amp device. The 15 amp is rated for 20 amp feed through.

Hello mgratton,

I agree with you. But how can i choose a good electrician for my bathroom vanity??

that system uses an industrial style flexible cable track available at industrial supply companies like McMaster Carr, and the flexible cord inside of it should be double insulated and made for use in such a track with a fine braided stranded wire to be extra flexible without wearing out prematurely. yes it can be made but don’t just stick a piece of old extension cord in there and expect it to last, order the right stuff