Previous repair.

Originally Posted By: thejnicki
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/H/HPIM1231.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: away

Tim,

This can usually be seen on brick veneer but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least judging by your picture.

I think I have read that if the corner didn't get filled properly i.e. removing any air that may have been trapped, this can happen.

A few other possibilities:
Someone got happy with a 12# sledgehammer when removing the forms.
Someone cut the corner too close with a tractor, skid steer (Bobcat) or other machinery.
The sidewalk/driveway expanding and popping it out, possibly?

What type of wall is that? If it is CMU then maybe thermal expansion caused the corner to pop out as it does with brick veneer. Also is that ovehang supposed to be like that?

Absent any other signs (like cracks in the interior or further up on the exterior) this appears to be a cosmetic issue. Recommend repair and future monitoring.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

It is a slab concrete foundation, I have to aggree with you about being cosmetic, due to the facte that there was noe exposed rebar visible… Problem is this is a pre-list inspection so I try to be very in depth with my client…

Originally Posted By: dduffy

Tim, It looks like the front portion of a garage foundation, yes? The crack does look significant, even though you may not see rebar.

Since it is a pre-listing inspection I would surely recommend this be repaired, whether it is a structural issue or not. Another inspector for the buyer could right this up as a major defect, so you need to cover yourself with that in mind.

Good luck,

Dale

--
Dale Duffy
Inspect Arizona Companies Inc.

Originally Posted By: ecox1

I agree with dale you should cover yourself, I will write this up as a defect.

Thanks All, Thats exactly how i wrote it up. Turns out the builder went right over and took care of the problem…