Price List

Originally Posted By: bemelander
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been looking at several web sites where there’s a price list for an inspection.

I currently do not have a price list on my web page but do you think it is good, bad or makes no differance and why.

Bill

Originally Posted By: mgault

Bill,

95% of the clients I have say price is a consideration when selecting the Inspector. These same folks pay without question for the Appraisal. ![eusa_naughty.gif](upload://nYl3dmRmAIH81yCdH9V96akYnNa.gif)

I have prices on mine and clients say they look for them.

-Mike

www.atozhomeinspections.net

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Bill, I do Not put prices on my site or any marketing material. I personally feel that makes them call me and this is where my marketing really gets started with them one on one. I stick to the phone routine Russel R. posted years ago and modified it somewhat to fit my needs. I feel (personal opinion) it is crucial to get the client to call me so I can explain why I’m the best inspector for them. It also gives you a small window to build a rapport with the client.

Originally Posted By: gporter

I list mine

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

Bill, I fought this issue for the longest time. I also felt that by not advertising/listing my prices clients would have to call to find out and

I could “book it” after talking to them.

The fact is, the majority of clients first question is " how much do you charge" I believe the reason they ask this is because its the only question they know how to ask, not “what does your inspection include” " whats your background, etc.

So I went ahead and listed them on my web page only, not in my brochures or other advertising materials. I don’t think I’ve lost any inspections from either listing or not. I mostly chose to list them so clients don’t think I’m “ashamed” of my prices. Its really a personal thing.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I can see pricing on the web site, sort of. The issue I see with it though, is that if you are $5 more than your competition, and the client is a price shopper, you won’t get the opportunity to speak with them, and convince them you are the person to use. We should never compete on price, but unfortunately there are low priced bargain Billy’s out there who aren’t confident in their sales ability or don’t realize the value of a home inspection, and therefore set their prices too low.

When the client's first question is how much do you charge for an inspection, that is your opening to take the conversation anywhere you want. If they know the price and never call, you won't know what business you're missing, why you're missing it, or if you could have gotten it with good salesmanship.

I have never included pricing on any of my marketing materials, and I don't provide price lists to Realtors or their offices. Part of this is because when prices go up, I don't want to change them on brochures, flyers, the web, and have to fax or deliver a new price sheet to all of the people who have them.

Just my $325 ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: gporter

Is that your min Blaine $325.00

Originally Posted By: gbell

No disrespect but that is easy to say when you live in a county with 13 inspectors.

Sorry Greg, but we have 35, plus the 100 who come down here from Sarasota without a license to work every day of the week.

Plenty of competition, and plenty of business for those who go get it.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Guess things have changed there in a year or two.

Yes it has. Charlotte county dropped the requirement to prove 3 years esperience in the field (duh, they had no provision to get esperience) so we get a new inspector every few weeks and it seems there is a new inspector every week in Sarasota or Lee county.

Charlotte county has raised the minimum acceptable score on the NHIE from 500 to 550 which is a good thing, but that hasn't seemed to matter much in the caliber of the beginner. Like before licensing, some are good, some stink, and some are only in the business for a short time after they figure out what all the business entails.

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

My thinking is this: Ulimately the client wants to know how much the inspection will cost and you will have to tell them anyway. So, just include it on the website - be informative.

I have found that when I am looking for goods or services on the web, and the prices are not listed, I become annoyed and move on. (Just a personal quirk). Why are they not listed? Do they change? Are they completely arbitrary? Are they too pricey?

In some ways, listing prices (where many do not) may give the impression that you are not afraid to list prices (meaning you are not overpriced) and can work to your advantage regardless of how much you charge (the client may just stop searching right there).

Also, if you are worried about losing the price shopper because you charge more than the competition, the end result is that you are likely to lose them anyway if that is their sole (or most important) criteria. Your website should sell you just like your on-phone pitch would. IF there is a significant difference, then either your website or your phone pitch (or both) could use some revision.

Personally, I am annoyed when I have to call or - worse yet - enter my personal information just to get a price or a call back for a price, for something that can be easily listed online.

Just my 2 cents....

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
Personally, I am annoyed when I have to call or - worse yet - enter my personal information just to get a price or a call back for a price, for something that can be easily listed online.

The object is not to make it easy!

You can talk to somebody like Russel Ray about this, but the intent of advertising/marketing is to get the phone ring. When someone calls on an advertising/web site they are trying to eliminate you from the group. The first thing that you say to help them eliminate you makes the phone hangup.

If you list your prices you had better use the rule of nines. That one dollar all make a difference. I was always told to spend five dollars on advertising and reduce your price by five dollars, you can at least spend one buck.

No two home inspectors inspect the same way. Why should they charge the same? Why should a client base their decision on home inspector solely by the price.

The client needs to talk to you and you need to talk to the client.

In my opinion, listing a price is not necessary. I close on clients without even discussing price in many cases. After we talk, they decide I'm the one they want and generally I have to ask them if they want to know how much it's going to cost!

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

David,

I understand the marketing angle of forcing them to call so I can give them my sales pitch, but my point was that, in similar instances, I NEVER call the guys who don't post prices. I figure if they can't give me all the info right there on the website, then either they are going to try to BS me or they have something to hide. Either way - no call from me.

I do my legwork online so I don't have to make phone calls and get pitched. I want all the info at my fingertips.

For this reason, I try to set my website up to make my pitch for me. I also try to give all the information I would want if I were choosing a home inspector - including prices.

Of course, like all marketing ideas, the choice to include or exclude prices on the website should fit with a co-ordinated approach. Stratgies work best when they overlap and re-inforce other aspects.

In my case, listing my prices reinforces my moderately aggressive pricing (attempting to get higher volume), which in turn reinforces my rewards marketing....

Originally Posted By: dnice

“The best thing that inspectors could do for each other now would be to raise their prices, and promote themselves as the professionals they truly are, professionals who are willing to accept the grave responsibilities of inspecting properties that far exceed those of real estate agents, structural engineers, and geologists combined.” - Keith Swift

http://www.nachi.org/imageis2005.htm

Joe,

I am curious about what types of services you shop for on the web. The prices of hard goods can be easily compared, but the price of service differs greatly on the type of service offered.

I can see eliminating someone from the pool if they don't post their price only if I am clueless about what the service should cost in the first place. On the other hand, if I'm going to be detailed enough to shop for a service, I won't automatically throw out someone who doesn't list theirs. If fact, they may raise my curiousity about them even further.

There may be no correct answer to this. If putting your price list on your marketing materials hasn't hurt your business in your opinion, go with it. I don't put my prices anywhere and it hasn't hurt my business, at least that I can ascertain.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I have them listed…only because my largest competition does also.

I have people call and ask how much…etc. and then I quote a price and then they say…that’s not the price on your site. Then I have to point them to the adds for crawlspace, older home, etc. and they book.

Then there are some that found me on the site, ask for a quote and don’t say a word if it differs from my listed price…(sometimes I just don’t feel like driving long distance and increase my price accordingly.)

Then there are some that find me on the site, call and get a quote, say thank you and never call back.

Like Blaine said...I doubt there is a correct answer. Just go with your gut. If your prices are competive, list them. If they are higher, don't post them and let your sales pitch sell them.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
I do my legwork online so I don't have to make phone calls.

This is my point. When you shop you are " eliminating" people. I understand your point about not getting enough information and being forced to call, however you're on both sides of the fence. One is being a buyer and second as a home inspector. You have something to buy and something to sell. The approach is not the same. As a buyer, you get all the information you can so you can complete your elimination process. As a seller you need the phone to ring. You are correct in assuming that some people will not call you because other people posted prices, however people that post their prices generally are taking the marketing approach as "Lower is better" and are marketing their prices, not their services.

Everyone should take the approach they feel is best for them, however there's absolutely no reason for me to post my prices (which are higher than most everyone else) and expect the telephone to ring from customers wanting to know why I charge more!

Due to the risk of litigation in this business, I feel that we do not get paid enough as it is and will never under price a service just to get the job. It may put you out of business for good.

There is a correct answer!
It all depends on what you're trying to achieve from your business plan. Are you looking for low-priced volume or high-priced quality. It's like Wal-Mart, (don't get me wrong, they do provide above standard products) they set a standard, go for volume, set their prices and go for it. Due to the volume, they can increase their standards and make money. I don't see a home inspection business being run like a Wal-Mart anytime soon, though it can be done. Russell Ray is probably working on it as we speak!

Quote:
Then there are some that find me on the site, call and get a quote, say thank you and never call back.

Maybe you need to look at the approach you take when you answer the telephone. If they received a price off the Internet, why do they need to call you for quote? I take the opportunity when I receive a phone call to provide caller with information about my business which is different than other services offered. I attempt to find out the concerns of the caller concerning house they're looking at and provide them with information on how I will handle the inspection to address their particular questions and concerns. Never answer a question with an answer. Answer the question with a question. If the caller asked how much you charge, there are a thousand questions about the house, what type of inspection and to what extent they want the property inspected that you can ask them about in response to that question. If they ask you if you inspect the roof, ask if they've noticed problems with the roof.

Quote:
...(sometimes I just don't feel like driving long distance and increase my price accordingly.)

This is the biggest drawback in listing your prices. After you interview the client, you may find that additional inspections are required and that the extent of the inspection may increase due to the condition of the property (which you cannot determine without seeing it or being told about it by the caller). Unless you are a flat rate contractor, you should never quote your prices because they are negotiable in each case. Save yourself some grief. If you list your prices, stick with them.

If a caller seems to be interested in my pricing only,
I specifically ask them if they're shopping for price. Then I give them my spiel about how shopping for price versus shopping for a home inspector is not a prudent endeavor. I advise them that all home inspectors are not created equal and do not perform the same services and therefore should not be expected to charge same prices. This is where I dive into what their concerns are...

After all, as Kevin said, I might not be interested in inspecting this house and the buyer may not want a detailed inspection! ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Take a lesson from Russell Ray who has numerous inspection types and prices. If you want to list your prices try "inspections starting at $295", which would be one of Russell's drive-by inspections with Margarita in hand!

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

My prices are listed as are many in the Phoenix area. If I lose a price shopper on the web over $5 or $10 good, I do not want them as a client. In fact I do not want to even talk to them, as, it is my opinion that, that client will be a pain in the neck.

My prices are going up soon book now, hmm that has a nice ring to it.

Originally Posted By: dnice

dandersen wrote:

Take a lesson from Russell Ray who has numerous inspection types and prices. If you want to list your prices try "inspections starting at $295", which would be one of Russell's drive-by inspections with Margarita in hand! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Yes, and for $299 he'll pour you one too!