Propane furnace

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am inspecting a 5000+ square foot home with a propane furnace and water heater (according to the buyer).

These are the first propane units I have inspected (and the first house this large), so I want to make sure I check everything to the fullest.

Are there any general cautionary items specific to propane? Things I have to be sure to check that are not normally visable or present with natural gas? (Other than the totally obvious, like the tank!!)

I appreciate any tips or pointers.

Originally Posted By: jpope

) of the appliances must be marked “For Use With Propane” or LP.

Natural gas and LP appliances are not interchangeable without changing the orifices in the units. The label should be clearly visible. If not, it should be written up as a potential safety issue.

Other than that, they are quite similar. Watch out when testing these. Sometimes the flame is almost invisible.

There are also requirements for the distance away from the house that the tank is required to be. These requirements are usually based on the size of the tank.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks Jeff! I’ll look for that designation!

Where would I locate the info on the distance from the home for the tank? Local Code?

jmichalski wrote:
Where would I locate the info on the distance from the home for the tank? Local Code?

Possibly. Shoot Jerry P. an email or PM and see what he can offer. I seem to remember him having that conversation somewhere.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Look for damage/corrosion on the tank, and fuel line protection. Also there should be an exterior regulator.

Code here is 3 feet from any opening and 10 feet from any electrical/ignition source I believe.

Jason.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

At least 3 ft. from doors or windows and the tanks should only be stored on the gable end of homes in snowy climates for fear of falling snow or ice damaging the lines…

Adam, A Plus

good tips. Thanks! I will check with the township as well…

Originally Posted By: dspencer

In my area: The tank needs to have clear distance within 100’ of the service truck for visibility of refueling safety.

Okay, I found it. You’re in IRC country, aren’t you Joseph?

Must be outside building and valves and gauges must be accessible. IRC 2411.2 & UPC 1213.3

Secure tanks in SDC D1 & D2. IRC 2404.8 & UMC 1604.1

Less than 125 gal requires no clearance from house or property line.
125 gal to 500 gal tank is required to be 10' min from the house and PL.
501 gal to 2,000 gal tank is required to be 25' min from house and PL. (NFPA58)

No openings in home below the tank or within 5' horz. of the pressure relief valve. IRC 2411.2 & UPC 1213.9

10' min clearance from ignition source to the fill valve and PRV on any size (ignition source may be electrical equipment or appliance such as A/C) NFPA58

No cast iron pipe fittings allowed. NFPA 2.4.4.1

Flex connectors and hoses max. 3' at tank (NFPA 3.2.17) & 6' indoors. (NFPA 3.2.20.2)

Shutoff valve reqd at hose inlet (NFPA 3.2.20.5)- hose and connection cannot be concealed. (NFPA 3.2.20.2)

Appliances converted to propane must be labeled. IRC 1304.1 and UMC 307.1.5

No propane appliances in pit or basement unless proper drain is installed. IRC FG401.2 and UMC 304.6

That's about all you need to remember ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff, you are the man!

By the way, where is that information located so that I can look it up for myself in the future? Did you purchase the Code on CD? Or are you accessing some other resource?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Originally Posted By: rmoore

jpope wrote:

10' min clearance from ignition source to the fill valve and PRV on any size (ignition source may be electrical equipment or appliance such as A/C)

Jeff...On the smaller tanks that can be up against the home, does the 10' include appliances that might be just on the other side of the wall? I also rarely get to see propane, but I did a small ranch a month or so ago, that also had a small "mobile" home on the property. The separate 120 gallon tank was right next to the home...and, on reflection, the interior propane water heater would have been well within that 10' radius. Heck...it might be even closer by now as it was about to fall through the rotting flooring.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: gmagee

Let me butt in here - Code Check HVAC has that information.

Greg

jmichalski wrote:
By the way, where is that information located so that I can look it up for myself in the future?

All of this info is in Code Check HVAC

rmoore wrote:
Jeff...On the smaller tanks that can be up against the home, does the 10' include appliances that might be just on the other side of the wall?

As long as the fuel can't pass through the wall, this would be the "go-around" distance.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738