Proper electrical terms

Is it proper to call the hot conductors the “phase” conductors from the pole to the lugs on the main bus bar and after that current is distributed to branch circuits by the “ungrounded conductors”? Right terminology?

http://www.electricityforum.com/electricity-how-it-works.html
These guys explain phase very well. also a good example

Three-Phase vs. Single-Phase, Illustrated

I think you’ll find varying opinions on this. Generally, the term “phase conductors” will be used in reference to a three-phase service (A, B & C phase) while L1 & L2 are more common terms for a single phase service.

I can’t tell you which is more accurate, but I’m not sure there is a true definition.

So John… is that a yes or a no?

I think Jeff said it best, I have to agree with him. It also may depend on which country you are writing text for.

OK, that’s why John included the 3-phase information. L1 and L2 must just be abbreviations for Lines 1 and 2.

I guess it doesn’t matter what terms get used as long as they’re used consistently throughout and their use is commonly-accepted.

Line 1 and Line 2 (not lines), aka “incoming”

Electrical equipment will normally be marked “Line” and “Load”

That’s the next challenge, John. It’s for Mexico, so it all gets written in English and then has to be translated into Spanish.
Mexico has pretty good Electrical Standards (just not good enforcement). I think they’re pretty much adopted from American standards, which is lucky because it allows me to refer to US Standards like NEC and IRC in addition to what I know and can learn from those who have a better handle on the details than I do.

So in deciding on terms I’m hoping we can take a lot straight from the Mexican Standards.

Kenton hope this does not confuse you to much.

http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasewiring.htm

“L” I believe stands for Leg. In U.S. residential electric distribution it is the same phase just two legs of opposite polarity.

How are you translating?

To be honest, Roy, I’m just trying to get a more thorough understanding of everything having to do with single phase systems. I didn’t really realize what I didn’t know until I started having to write it all down as a comprehensive course. Man! Talk about something that helps teach you the meaning of “humility”! Having to do it in public on the boards is even worse, but this is my only resource other than the code books, which don’t really answer basic questions. Pretty good resource, though!

I’m working with a Mexican guy down here whose family owns a business that performs inspections of new homes for the government, who buys them and offers them to the public at low interest rates. He’s an Engineer (production systems) and has a masters in appraisal, so he’s a smart guy, but not an electrician, and inspection at our level is new to him.

We’ve also been promised help in vetting the courses by CMIC which is the Mexican version of our NAHB, but that may or may not happen.
So I write them in English and Mauricio translates them.

You do very well.
I have been out of the trade for over 25 years , I see some things have changed .
There is also a difference between USA and |Canada so I try to be careful what I post.

It’s great to have help with translations. Don’t know if this will help, but i use it a lot with my foreign speaking and writing clients. The pro version is great for documents. www.babylon.com
Good luck with your course

Is it netter than Google Translate?

As I was going to college I was taught that there were two references one phase and one line in multiphase and one reference in single phase “leg”

When referring to phase we were talking about the voltage from one phase to ground and when referring to line we were talking about from one phase to another phase. Over the years this has been shortened in the field from line to line to just line voltage. Both are referring to multi-phase circuits such as three phase or two phase which is rare these days.

In a single phase service we read from one Leg to ground or across the phase (leg to leg).
These two legs are one phase that is in sync with itself and is not opposing itself. Where the out of phase comes from is the reference point in the middle or the neutral point. Think of it as standing in the middle of a road running north to south. If we look at the north bound traffic with our back to the south bound lane the traffic is going from our right to our left. Now turn around and look at the other lane and I be darn if it ain’t going from our right to our left also. This is the point the neutral is looking at the current of a single phase panel. Now think as the center of the road as being a round race track and we are standing in the infield. We realize that the cars are actually going in a circle and this is current flow in a single phase panel (the round race track)

When referencing a single phase panel they are legs but in multiphase panels they are phases. The major difference is that in a three phase circuit each phase is 120 degrees out of sync with the other and so on till we reach 360 degrees.
In a single phase circuit the phase is in sync with itself and no degrees out of sync therefore it is referenced as leg to leg. In the transformer or windings of a generator a three phase will have three windings while a single phase will only have one.

I haven’t tried goggle, but it is pretty good, a mortgage broker and real estate agent that I work with are from Equador and Belize and they say it is great, no problem with translation. client from canada which I translated in french every one is happy with it so far.

It usually requires some clean-up, but it’s pretty good.