Proper fixing of plumber hacking

Plumber hacked TPR piping.jpg

The plumber added a sewage ejector pump and chose the most direct route for his piping. However in the process he simply sawed off the TPR piping and now it doesn’t comply with the 6 inch of the ground discharge rule.

Is this worth calling out?

The TPR valve is now leaking so it needs replaced anyway, might as well fix the piping length, but what’s the proper fix???

Can an elbow be added, to angle the new copper piping past the plumbers piping?

No it needs a proper repair . I recommend the plumber immediately comes Back and properly repairs his installation .

ok, but WHAT would the proper repair be? At this point wouldn’t it be a lot easier to reconfigure the copper discharge piping? Can an elbow be put in it to angle it away from the water tank a bit to miss the PVC below it?

Not my job to tell a plumber how to fix things . he should know the proper fix or get a different plumber to do the repair .

Now for the answer you are asking for, (as most clients like to be aware of what it’s supposed to look like when repairs are completed)…

1. Install a new, CORRECT TPRV (without the existing extension) into the WH

2. Install the (original design) drain pipe into the new TPRV

3. Be certain the new drain pipe terminates between 1" and 6" above the floor. Without the extension, the drain pipe should be able to run straight down.

Done

thank you for reply, Your “extension” idea was what I was looking for. Just being a tough guy with the plumber isn’t always a good option, besides the sewage ejector install was several years ago, and that particular plumber is no longer available.

By the way a plumbing inspection class stated that the code for this is actually 6-24 inches off the ground…so its not really a violation, but sloppy and lazy none the less, plus it drains directly onto the pvc pipe below it, not desirable either…
thanks again.

Its between 1 and 6 inches here. Was it the Nachi plumbing class that stated between 6 and 24 inches? I thought I remember it being within 6 inches. I know it may vary from region to region so YMMV.

the AHIT training institute has a youtube video that shows what I’m disussing here,

if you slip to the 58:00 minute mark, with in 15 seconds you'll see. I'm sure you know more about it then me, I'm just learning. What do you think of that info?

I am not claiming to know more than you, its just whats required around here. I think it varies from region to region. You could check with your local building department and find out what code book they use or what their requirements are.

Didn’t watch the link, didn’t need to. They are CYA. I believe it is CAlifornia and maybe some other Local areas that allow the 6-24 inches. Part of that ties in to the elevated requirement for garages (by default… 18 inches + 6 inches).