Property Manager wants to charge me for resetting the thermostat

Good morning dear friends…
I come to this forum because it’s been three weeks since I did an inspection where the thermostat seemed to be set at a temperature … and I couldn’t move it.
I asked a property manager rep to remove the temperature sewing… so I could test the HVAC system.
This person messed with the thermostat and left (the manager didn’t authorize leaving it without the limit…the temperature set to 68F).

• I decided not to do the HVAC test, and before leaving I see that the thermostat showed COOL but it was heating up. So I turned off the system and left the house. This was on the 1st of this month…several days later I receive an invoice to be paid to the HVAC maintenance guy:
    It said in the Invoice:
    Diagnostic Analysis upon arrival on 6-4-2022 checked the ac unit and found the unit was running in the heat mode - thermostat was set to straight cool - reset the thermostat to heat pump with auxiliary heat $69. (day of visit 06/04/22)

How should I proceed?
Thanks in advance!!

Gilberto

Gilberto, did you photograph the property manager rep. messing with the thermostat?..Other photos?

2 Likes

Hi! I didn’t take a picture of him…how I regret that…

1 Like

Sounds like someone came behind you and messed with the thermostat after you turned off the system.

2 Likes

Yes, sir!
Look what I replied to the property manager today: (Mr. Richard)
Good morning,
I’m grappling with this issue because I believe it can’t be done this way.
I will speak this last time on this subject.

• When I arrived, there was an employee of Mr. Richard in the house.
    The thermostat was not working properly. So I asked the representative to lower the temperature so I could do the test. He called Mister Richard to ask permission, he was the last one to program this thermostat. After this gentleman said he would not program the thermostat, I decided not to take the test. After that, I got a call from a person I believe is the listing agent, I told her I wouldn’t do the air conditioning test. After that I noticed that the air conditioning was even set to COOL is heating up… so, before leaving the property I turned off the system to prevent any problems. This system was turned off when leaving the property.
    This property is a short rental, and 5 days have passed since this diagnosis. Anyone could have tampered with this system after I left.
    This matter does not concern me. The thermostat already had a fault before I arrived.
    Have a great day!
5 Likes

1 Like

The photo above… was how the guy left it… I left it off… like this photo

1 Like

Just curious, what was the complaint exactly? What state was the t-stat that caused the complaint?

I would keep it simple.

I was not the last person to operate the thermostat. I documented with photo’s how the on-site representative left the the thermostat. I would direct you to your representative, Mr. Richard.

2 Likes

Hi!
Mr. Richard is the representative’s boss… and he was the one who sent me the invoice to pay… look what he wrote:

you should have left the thermostat as you found it, i.e. “ON” and set to “cool”.
When we returned to do so, the programming was all messed up.
You were the last person to have touched the thermostat. This means you are the one who caused the problem.
Kindly pay for the repair invoice.
Thank you.
Richard Martel,
General manager, the FL Store

Just deny it and tell him to take a jump in the nearest lake. Do not give him any further information. Save that documentation for any legal action. (you do not want him to build a defense on information you have provided)

Meanwhile, you may consider contacting your EO insurance company because technically that is a demand letter. Your EO insurance company may require they are notified when a demand is made.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that…
wouldn’t it be easier to pay the $69.00? …because this is dragging on and I don’t want my image tarnished…
If I notify my insurance I can have my pictured. You know…
What would you do? (Besides telling him to jump in the lake)

2 Likes

I am sorry, I did not see that. Yes, I would probably pay just to make it go away and make nice with the guy.

However, I would demand a waiver or release letter so he cannot make further claims. The waiver should note that by paying the invoice you are not admitting to guilt.

3 Likes

I agree with that…thanks a lot

Yes…

And, what Brian said, too, is imperative.

2 Likes

Did you go back to the future?

Diagnostic Analysis upon arrival on 6-4-2022 checked the ac unit and found the unit was running in the heat mode - thermostat was set to straight cool - reset the thermostat to heat pump with auxiliary heat $69. (day of visit 06/04/22)

1 Like

Dear friends, I already made an offer and it was accepted. With letter and resignation.
Thank you very much for your participation, you were fundamental in this situation.
Thank you very much!

3 Likes

Heheh, the day got changed when I copied and pasted…actually it’s 04.06.22

1 Like

One thing you might consider for the future is to time and date stamp your pictures. Your report is a “point in time inspection” and you want your pictures to prove it.

3 Likes

Two photographs of the thermostat go into every report. The first photograph is the setting it was found in. The second photograph is post inspection before I leave the house. Both settings are always the same. I’m glad everything is working out for you.

5 Likes

I see what you mean, and not to bust your chops, but that don’t prove a damn thing. You can easily snap a pic and then fiddle with the T-stat, yes?

And all the while your back is turned slightly so the body cam doesn’t catch the action… :wink:

1 Like