Public walkway bridge question

Are there Code requirements for this railings?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Marcel

Absolutely, and if it’s actually “public property” (owned by the city or state) it would also be required to be ADA compliant.

Thanks Jeff, that is what I thought.

I got sent this today by e-mail from the Employers Brother where he stated that we supplied the Man Powere to go build the concrete and maybe the Bridge for an Earth Work Contractor who was the General Contractor.
Don’t know the specifics, but did e-mail my employer telling him what I thought.
Since the only reference book I use is the IRC, I was not sure, I deal a lot by loggic like Mr. Spock,:wink: ha. ha. Well, maybe a little experience behind it. ha. :slight_smile: ha.

Thanks for your input.

Marcel :smiley:

Marcel,

That almost looks like a bike path as opposed to a walking path. I am not sure if regulations for a bike path would be the same for a walking path.

Jeff, Is there any difference?

Here’s the IBC requirement. You decide.

**1013.1 Where required. **

Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, mezzanines, industrial equipment platforms, stairways, ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below. Guards shall be adequate in strength and attachment in accordance with Section 1607.7. Where glass is used to provide a guard or as a portion of the guard system, the guard shall also comply with Section 2407. Guards shall also be located along glazed sides of stairways, ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below where the glazing provided does not meet the strength and attachment requirements in Section 1607.7.

Good point, but I have seen bike paths in the areas that share bikes and walking public with carriages to infants walking in a lessiure way.

Thanks for that point.

And as Jeff pointed out from the IBC, I think is more directed at the interior of a Building or Association with it’s entrance criteria.

Is their a separate Code that addresses exterior site conditions?

This has peaked my curiousity, and will try to find out on my end.

Thanks to all that have shown some interest.
We all learn.

Marcel :slight_smile:

So what is the biggest area of concern in regard to code??

The fact that there is not a “ramp” for ADA purposes. (looking at the pictures, it’s obvious they are not finished with the project)Who knows maybe the ramps are yet to be poured.

Are the rails that are currently in place good enough for code? Are they too short, spacing??

Is it public?? Or is it a horse trail maybe…Would there still have to be a ramp if it were used for horses,etc and it was public?

Just wondering, because I have no idea? :slight_smile:

I am not sure there is an exterior code that addresses this issue. I have seen many “walkways” on public golf courses that have no railing at all, just a couple of 4x4’s on each side to keep the carts from taking a plunge. Maybe it depends on what the intention of the wakway was designed for or what it crosses. Maybe the local code officials get free rounds of golf…lol

Found out this morning that the only work my Company did was the concrete buttments, and also the fact, it was designed by the State of Maine.

I have a Civil Engineer visiting my Project tomorrow and will show him the pictures and question him on the Maine Code for Public access ways for the State.

Will follow up.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi. Guys;

Well, met with a Civil Engineer yesterday and showed him these pictures and he agrees with me that they are not up to Code Compliance since the State of Maine has adopted the IBC and IRC as a whole but actually left to the Jurisdictions for implementation and enforcement.

Now, you go figure, the State of Maine actually attempts to design something that does not meet Code.

Go figure. Where does that leave everything else going on in the State. ?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

That figures…the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is up to. :frowning: