Pull down attic ladder tread reincorcement question

The nuts on these tread reinforcements need washers.

True of False?

I didn’t think nuts were designed to sink into the wood like that

Well, yes…but…minor issue until its not.

yea, its the second time i saw it in two days which made me wonder if its very common. i try to disregard probability and focus on possibility- it would never be a problem for a skinny guy like me, but what if a larger person comes walking down the stairs face first like a dummy, putting all their weight on the stairs… one of those nuts might go straight through the wood.

probable? no. easy to fix and make fool proof? yes.

The stairs typically have a posted max weight rating. The stair manufacturer has this in mind when they save 30 cents on washers.

i guess thats what im asking - did these stairs come with washers or did the installer not use them? they come prefabed right?

edit: yea, of course they do. okay, strike that from the report.

Prefab unit. I would not note the lack of washers unless there were signs of cracking or failure. That nut holds a tension rod that runs under the rung.

2 Likes

download (4)
Maybe this, I couldn’t blow the pic up enough to get a good look, but I have seen this type of nut on pull down attic ladders

4 Likes

I agree. :slightly_smiling_face:

6d66fd935dd3c87c9bac2ee91826b3de17db5370_2_750x1000 (1)

4 Likes

This is a good article and pretty much covers it.

https://www.howtolookatahouse.com/Blog/Entries/2018/8/what-are-the-warning-signs-of-a-dangerous-attic-pull-down-ladder.html

1 Like

Well, with all the cigaret butts kicking around, the place might burn down anyways. What did the attic look like? That room is a fire hazard.

3 Likes

hah, the place was in pretty good condition, despite the heavy smoker tenant. although going in the wrong direction. It’s a 2017 home and seems to be a decent build.

2 Likes

ah thank you for that! I could swear that they were hex nuts, but i cant be sure now. ill take an extra close look next time.

I found these today, 2020 home. No washer or nuthin’

4 Likes

Did you decide to note it in your report?

Same deal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope, prefab system which was performing. Nothing to report. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

However, I did report on this today…different set of pull down.

2 Likes

And my final set today…yet another design and likely the best.

3 Likes

That is funny. Oh, about a week or so ago, you and Ryan laughed at a post that someone was using their finger to point at a defect saying that it was old school to point or use your hand in a pic, and you said he must have learned it from watching bens videos, and here you are putting your hand in the pic. Just messing with you, Have a good evening. :grinning:

5 Likes