Push O Matic and rust on Neutral bar

Originally Posted By: rharrington
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Need some help from the electrical experts.

I'd add pictures but can't find the instruction page to do this.

I've seen different opinions on Push O Matics. What is the basic recommendation from the NACHI group on these panels?

Also there is a lot of rust on the Neutral / Ground bar. Other than recommending evaluation from a licensed electrician... anything else?

Just checking my wording on issues I'm just running across.

Thanks,

Rick

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Rick-

I've gotten into some interesting discussions regarding Pushomatic breakers with Realtors and Electricians. There is one fact that is indisputable - all Pushomatics are old, and breakers don't improve with age. You can recommend further evaluation by a Sparky based on that issue alone. Hope this helps.

--
Bill Smith
www.SmithHomeInspection.com
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: rharrington

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reponse. I've included that in the report.

I think there is a problem with the box as there are a number of outlets that are not energized even though all the breakers are in the on position. This is a dangerous situation. It's a bank owned property that rehabbers are looking at.

Rick

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Rick,

Here in North Jersey I see a lot of Push matics. Generally they are good solid panels. I have no problem with them either as an experienced inspector or as a qualified electrician. Old... Fine, Don't think that qualifies for further evaluation unless it is displaying problems. Whenever I buy industrial machinery I won't even look at the new stuff. The older things were just built better... - Rust or corrosion requires cleaning and the source of moisture taken care of. If I needed a sub panel for my own home I would have no problem buying someone's old used pushmatic.

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services
North NJ

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Kyle-

I have had the same discussion with local electricians. Since all breakers rely on moving parts, I don’t see how “older” is a benefit (except in my case’icon_lol.gif’) . If you found a brand new Pushmatic panel today it wouldn’t meet modern NEC standards. I don’t know if I’d like that panel in my home.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien