Q: What causes billions of dollars in damage...?

Learning “shortcuts” is not education. It is the encouragement of a bad habit.

A while back I asked someone about flashlights and the SoP.
Where in the InterNACHI standards of practice does it allow for the use of a flashlight? The use of a flashlight may be considered going way beyond the standards of practice. A home inspection is strickly a visual inspection. The use of a tool in order to reveal things that would otherwise be non-visible is going beyond the SoP. No? A flashlight is a tool used to reveal things that would otherwise be not visible to the unaided eye during an inspection performed according to the SoP. :slight_smile:
I’m trashin’ my flashlight right now - and sticking with the SoP. To the letter.

What are you talking about???

Nonsense.

The standard of practice defines what a home inspection is. What you sell is training for ancillary services…using the technique of attempting to convince people that it somehow enhances a home inspection and that a home inspection is deficient or lacking without it.

I object to your technique…not your training for the non-essentials.

Good luck. The newbies will fall for it.

Interesting to note as well, is the fact that a flashlight is causing
the reflective light frequencies bouncing off the surface of various
objects to be more intense, so they can reach the eyes of the
inspector with more intensity.

The IR camera just happens to see “frequencies” that are just
below the visible light spectrum. It enhances your ability to see
as well.

James said he is going to buy an IR camera… inspite of the SoP :mrgreen:

No, the SoP defines what is the “minimum standard” for a
home inspection. It in no way limits the anyone from
doing a better inspections. The newbies should not fall
for that false assumption.

The minimum standard to pass a course in high school is
a grade of “D”. It is not the standard to shoot for, but
only the very least that is accepted before it is defined
as a failure.

Many houses can be built to the minimum standard of “code”,
but still have defects. The SoP is not the measure of a
more excellent inspection protocol, but the least that is
expected before the inspection is deemed to be negligent.

It’s not wise to play on the red line. Only doing the minimum
is nothing to be proud of.

Education does help an inspector “see” and “understand”
more potential defects from the things he inspects. If not,
we should all stop learning because it does no good.

Silly.

Nope.
I’m not selling the WDO course - It’s FREE to members.
Have you taken it?

How’s that mold course coming? If I buy the second half, will I learn a “shortcut”?

**No. **

Dr. Shane, chief mycologist for ProLab is the instructor in the 2nd half, and he’s very detailed about procedures and protocols. He expects mold inspectors that come out of his training to be the best and to set the standard.
The IAC2 Mold Sampling Standards of Practice are not easy - they are the most demanding Standards for mold inspectors that exist. IMHO.

I recommend not spending the money though - without first taking the FREE online mold course. See if you really want to get into the mold profession by taking the free course first, then take the first half of the online video course (which is also FREE). Then, if you still want to go for it - well… contact me.

I have already decided that I don’t want to get into the mold profession. I am a home inspector.

I am searching for your logic where this course will teach me how to find structural damage that you imply is not being found when I inspect in accordance with the SOP.

I got a Termite Inspection (Applicator License) here in AZ to add to my income.

Not too worried about mold myself, but Ben has provided an EXCELLENT termite video/class from what I have seen.

Nothing wrong with learning.

Nope.
I’m not implying that at all.
You missed the whole point.
I suggest going back to post #1, and start all over again. This time - take it slow.

Agreed, and well said, Sir.

Someday I want to earn the “AstroBoy” certification :mrgreen:

No it’s not.

I agree. Learning is good. Not learning is bad.

What I disagree with are the side-show hookmen trying to lure people into their tents with the idea that the home inspection is insufficient and incomplete if (a) you do not purchase my infrared divining rod (and the $500 class that teaches you how to use it), (b) you do not “exceed the SOP” by searching for extra-terrestrials (and the $199 video course that teaches you how to spot them, where their planet is, how far they travel to get to Earth, etc).

Sell these things for what they are…extra bells and whistles. Not essentials.

If the mold class is teaching that mold can cause structural damage, I’ll stay far, far away thanks. Mold is a wood “inhabiting” organism, not a wood “destroying” organism.

[quote=“jbushart, post:36, topic:38700”]

I agree. Learning is good. Not learning is bad.

What I disagree with are the side-show hookmen trying to lure people into their tents with the idea that the home inspection is insufficient and incomplete if (a) you do not purchase my infrared divining rod (and the $500 class that teaches you how to use it), (b) you do not “exceed the SOP” by searching for extra-terrestrials (and the $199 video course that teaches you how to spot them, where their planet is, how far they travel to get to Earth, etc).

**Sell these things for what they are…extra bells and whistles. Not essentials./**quote]

Exactly Jim. :smiley:

Looks like we got our points across. Take care of what brung ya. If you go beyond that, no one will bring you.

[quote=“bkelly2, post:38, topic:38700”]

Nope. Wrong again.
Not for sale.
Refer to post #1. Free to InterNACHI members.
http://www.nachi.org/wdocourse.htm
http://www.nachi.org/moldcourse.htm
http://www.nachi.org/moisturecourse.htm