QOD- 3/22/2007- Pools and Spas

Good question today for you guys who actually inspect POOLS and SPAS…yeah I know…beyond the scope…( like infared camara’s are within the scope )…many HI’s speak with do in fact inspect pools…so here is my question for you.

QUESTION:

When inspecting a POOL and you notice a junction box for the underwater light…and yes it is 4’ away from the edge of the pool and is indeed raised up properly…the question is…if this box is ONLY a junction box WHAT are the (3) approved raceways to support this box…??? ( 4 actually…BUT…are they approved or not??? ( trick question…sorry )

Notice - This is based on 2002 NEC and UP…( safety has a way of changing those things…)

Got me thinking Paul.:smiley:
(code for I had to look it up.)

OK…let me end this thing…I thought wrong…probably NOT a good QOD…sorry…lol…

Fact is…NONE of the choices A, B or C ( as a GROUP ) can be used…The NEC states that the support for a pool junction box must be done with (2) threaded conduits…this would mean RMC or IMC …IF you were going to use the conduit as the support for the junction box.

Now…if we are talking a conduit BODY…then choice © would have been the answer…but I did not ask for a conduit body…sorry…tried to be tricky and failed badly…lol…

BUT hey…atleast it was a QOD…they have been rather dorment for awhile :slight_smile:

D. None of the Above

BZZZZ…actually none of the answers above apply…that was the intent as I wanted to see if anyone ACTUALLY read the question as EMT, Liquid Tite nor EMT can be used to support a pool light junction box…lol…just wanted to see what responses I got…:slight_smile:

Paul -
Even guys that inspect Pools would likely not think about what you’ve described.

And thats the GOOD part of it…They should because the pool " Junction Box" is specific…we all need to THINK about the question before we jump to the answer…I am guilty of doing this myself in life…everyday.

Thats the MAIN reason I educate…it also educates me and the DAY we all think we know it all is the day we start to fall.