QOD for 05/04/04 (structural)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all ,

Here is a foundation problem question.

with thanks to Member Marc Hutnick for the photo.

I know this question is somewhat interperative, but lets see what the concensus is

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I’d say 3/16" if its a V crack.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

This bothers me at a corner on a poured wall.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: nhamilton

1/8 vertical, this particular crack looks as if footing gaveway

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Looks like you had too many “correct” answers Gerry. I am so looking forward to your explanation as to why there really is only one “correct answer”, and which one it is … icon_lol.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpope

nhamilton wrote:
1/8 vertical, this particular crack looks as if footing gaveway

The question doesn't have anything to do with this particular picture.

Although any crack 1/4" or greater is an indication of a potential problem, horizontal cracks are the most significant sign of structural failure when it comes to basements or foundations.

Gerry, are you gonna just leave us hanging?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Well, I think the “most correct” answer would be a 3/8" horizontal crack … thats a red flag. Any horizontal crack needs a closer look, and I agree that is the most significant crack.

I agree with Jeff in general that any cracks 1/4" or greater needs evaluation, so thats another "correct answer". The 3/16 diagonal crack is also not a "normal" crack, and may really be a concern.

There are many qualifiers that apply, and in some cases cracks 1/8" or greater are a concern, so I am really looking forward to this explanation ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

it has been really interesting to read theses comments, and yes there are 2 potentially correct answers, and yes that was quite deliberate ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

this is some what of an extreme example of the often made comment that many questions appear to have 2 available correct answers, but that there is always one answer that is the best.

Rob and Jeff, saw through the first answer and read all of the available answers and like many others realized that the last answer was in fact the "best" answer as it mentioned a "horizontal" crack, which is always the biggest red flag that there is.

I agree with all the comments in particular Robs comment that sometimes even a very narrow crack can be indicative of a major problem, for example a crack that is only 1/8 inch wide but that has any lateral displacement would also warrant further evaluation.

By the way, the photograph actually shows a crack that was 3/4 inch at the top, and ran all the way down through the footing, and had a twin on the opposing wall, needless to say it was written up as being in need of further evaluation by an "O'connor" ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Like I said before, some times I don't play nice

great comments guys

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

IMHO, foundation inspections and cracking can be very tricky for an HI, and is also a high liability area where repair costs can be very significant. There is a tendency for an HI to try to evaluate what is going on, which is beyond a home inspection and can be a very slippery slope to be on … icon_wink.gif

You slipped right out of that noose, by admitting there were at least two "correct answers", and possibly more (or all of them) depending on the circumstances ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?