QOD for 05/08/04 (exterior)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

hi to all,

Here is something that may be outside of the bounds of a "typical" (if there is such a thing) home inspection, but with the inceasing age of the population and more elderly and disabled living in the home an issue that we are going to see more and more.

Many thanks to John Bowman, who shares an interest with me in this area for suggesting a question on this topic.

For all you "googlers" out there, these guidelines come from the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) have fun

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

The term Handicap is derogatory and incorrect…sort of like calling an African American something that starts with the letter N. I think you should consider revising. If my post is out of line, please feel free to delete it icon_smile.gif

The term "accessible" is considered to be more proper, and "disabled" people might use such ramp.

Gerry: Nothing on you...keep up the great work! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ::Thumbs up

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Ryan,

no offence taken what so ever, I have edited the question to reflect your comments, thanks you.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: tallen

Ryan,

There is no such thing as an out of line post on this board.

Freedom of speech is alive and well at NACHI.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

Raise your hand if you’re tired of politically correctness eusa_hand.gif

Just kidding

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Ryan Jackson wrote:
If my post is out of line, please feel free to delete it ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

One of the really great things about this board is that would never happen ... because nobody has (or I hope ever will) have the authority to do that. It is a self regulating board, and if you are truely out of line members generally come out of the woodwork to jump all over you ...

I went to college with a buddy who is handicaped and uses a wheelchair. He couldn't stand people who tried to avoid offending him with PC terms ... that pissed him off even more than needing a few of us to lift him over the step at the bar ...

Last time I spoke to my friend, he told me he absolutely hated the term "accessible" anything ... his point was "accessible to who?" He is not alone in his feelings and thoughts with many he knows.

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Correct me if I’m wrong but with a 1:12 you need a landing every 30’ (I think if I remember correctly). With a 1:20 slope, you don’t need any landings.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Hey Gerry. Thanks for taking my post in the way it was meant to be taken. It seems so easy to offend people these days, that while I was trying to politically correct, I might have offended someone else…how do ya win? LOL icon_lol.gif

Anyway, like I said in my first post, keep up the great work. I don't read half of the posts here, but I do make it a point to read the QOD. Thanks again,
Ryan

--

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Ryan Jackson wrote:
It seems so easy to offend people these days, that while I was trying to politically correct, I might have offended someone else....how do ya win? LOL ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I don't think anyone here took offence, but you are right ... ya cant win ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ... You can please some of the people some of the time, but ya cant please all of the people all of the time ...

kmcmahon wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but with a 1:12 you need a landing every 30' (I think if I remember correctly). With a 1:20 slope, you don't need any landings.

Here are some basics:

Quote:

Design requirements:

The maximum slope of a wheelchair ramp should be 1" of rise for each 12" of run.

The maximum rise for any run is 30". The maximum run 30'.

The minimum inside clear width of a ramp should be 36".

Landings must be provided at the top and bottom of each run.

The landing should be at least as wide as the ramp, and a minimum of 60" in length.

Handrails must be provided on both sides of the ramp, between 30" and 38" above the ramp surface.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Don’t forget edge protection too!!! icon_smile.gif