QOD for 2/27/04

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Got an easy one for today.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Are they same (sex) pieces of wood?

If so they they may be joined only in Mass. & Cal. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Mike,

That's a knee slapper!![](upload://76W5ki8PdQbWSfITkgj2VftQLbi.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dbush

The correct answer is A. Toenailing is the “last resort” for joining wood. It provides the least amount of structural support.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

What is laid-on-connections?

Never heard of that.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Same here, and as toe nailing is still quite prevalent, I’d hardly call it a “last resort”. Your question was not specific as to vertical or horixontal and perpendicular planes of connection. Are we saying that toe nailing of studs is not all too common?

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jremas

Joe, he was asking for the “least” of the ones listed. I think you are looking too much into it. You are answering questions that were not asked nor implied.

We all know that toe-nailing is acceptable and there are even nailing schedules to follow for toe-nailing vs joist hangers and direct nail.

Joe I would advise that you not take the NHIE because I could clearly see you sending them a 200 page written report on the problems with their exam and the multiple answers.... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Although it’s not the technically correct term, a “laid-on-connection” is where you have wood siting on another piece of wood, also called a “bearing connection” … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Quote:
Are they same (sex) pieces of wood?

If so they they may be joined only in Mass. & Cal.

mike p, now also in New York,
New Paltz Mayor did 21 yesterday

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Thank you Robert.

Words in different areas mean different things

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Thanks for all the help, Jeff. I appreciate it.

Here's the question:

Which one of the following is the least desirable method of joining two pieces of wood to each other?
a. toe-nailing
66% [ 36 ]
b. using a ledger strip
1% [ 1 ]
c. using metal hangers
9% [ 5 ]
d. laid-on-connections
22% [ 12 ]

So, its obvious that some of us are not familiar with the terminology of a laid-on connection. But, as toe-nailing, ledger strips, and metal hangard are used in every framing situation we run into, wouldn't it be natural to ask if we're specifying horizontal connections. I suspect that there are are nearly twice the number of toe-nailed connection points in a home than any other. Hence, my question. Its not a bad question for these purposes. And its a good point of contention. Sorry if you dont see it that way.

BTW, are those septic riser extensions laid-on or attached by some other methodology ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Actually, I wasn’t even gonna mention this, but there are actually two “correct” answers.

For studs attached to a sill plate a "toe-nailed" connection would be better than a "laid-on connection" (i.e. only bearing).

But from the various answers, it is kinda implied that the connection is for horizontal framing/joists, in which case the "laid-on" connection would be better (just the term implies one piece of wood is laid on top of another piece of wood).

Very sticky question again, but I still think the "best" answer would be "toe-nailing" is the least desirable given the information and the implication it's for joists ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong