QOD for 3/25/04 (Boilers)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well, since I got into the wood burning stuff the other day, I guess we should give boilers equal time.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Is this an old question? Or are we traveling back in time today? icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Joe,

It's deja vu, all over again ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I have no idea what you are talking about, it shows the correct date.

icon_lol.gif

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: rmoore

What happened to…

f. line the pockets of Mr. Nabyourdough, an insurance scam artist.

?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Dave,

Oh yeah. Sorry Dave. My eyes must have just needed to adjust to this bright daylight. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Joe Myers

Well, we have a first. The majority was wrong. The hartford loop is actually used to prevent water from leaking out of the boiler if the wet return leaks.

Here?s how the Hartford Loop works. If a return line breaks, water can only back out of the boiler to the point where the wet return line connects into the equalizer. The Loop works like a siphon that runs out of water. The point where the Loop connects to the equalizer is higher than the boiler?s crown sheet, and that?s what provides the safety. Since the water couldn?t instantly vanish from the boiler, it bought the Dead Men some time to notice the problem and save that wood- or coal-fired boiler. The piping arrangement wasn?t fail-safe, but it was a vast improvement over the old way of returning condensate directly into the bottom of the boiler.

Should you use a Hartford Loop nowadays? I sure think so! Your low-water cutoff should protect the boiler against a sudden loss of water, but if you have a gravity-return system, a Hartford Loop is the cheapest insurance you can buy to back up that low-water cutoff should a return rupture and water suddenly leave the boiler. Low-water cutoffs are great, but believe it or not, there are a few out there that don?t get blown-down once a week. Really!

The above was copied from heatinghelp.com. By the way, I thought it was equalizing pressure also until I started researching the answer (thanks Gerry).
We don't have boilers down here.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

![](upload://4BGVHx84pYIdnqPudC6kASX87kB.jpeg)

So now you know what I know

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

That was a good one. I actually got it wrong and I was with the majority on that one.

After I thought about it, I researched it on the internet and found that very same article that you just posted, although you did not post the entire article. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I knew that I had seen it in the C & D diagrams but I just could not remember what it was for.

For those of you that are running scared on this one, I just want to add a few words of warning. If you come across a boiler that is low on water, what ever you do, DON'T ADD ANY WATER TO A RUNNING BOILER. At the very least you can crack the sections which are used to heat the water. Worst case, hold onto your hat, you got a one way ticket to space.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpope

be right nachi_sarcasm.gif

I had one other inspector/onlooker agree with me

Okay. . . okay. . . I missed this one Gimme another one

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Quote:
A Hartford Loop is an arrangement of piping between a steam boiler's header and its gravity-return piping. The end of the header drops vertically below the boiler's waterline and connects into the bottom of the boiler. [u]We call this pipe the "equalizer" because it balances the pressure between the boiler's steam outlet and condensate-return inlet. [/u]The "wet" gravity return line, which returns the condensate from the system, rises up from the floor to join with the equalizer at a point about two inches below the boiler's lowest operating water line.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jpope

I was robbed! Ask me that question again!

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

What the F is a steam boiler. Never seen one!!

Sunny and warm today.....again ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)