QOD for 6/3/04 (Electrical)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

We are going to try another narrative type QOD today. What all is wrong with this setup?

![](upload://kyWMRtBZtYIHCSdEGhDF0fnFRVl.jpeg)

Try to answer in a narrative format, as you would in a report. That way, new inspectors, can get some report writing ideas also. Even if you have the same answer, please take the time to answer, we are trying to see if this format is well liked and utilized compared to the multiple choice answer format.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

HHmmmmmmm…

Electrical: Exposed splices, improper extension cord that is direct buried without armour.

Exterior: Negative slope to grade near foundation.....vegetation too high against slab and/or foundation and brick.

.......and there is something going on with that brick...looks like an amateur brick job.

Regards,

--
Alan Fernbaugh
Five Star Inspection Services
Baton Rouge, La.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Quote:
Wiring for exterior receptacle is not protected from damage and there are exposed wires and splices which is a SAFETY HAZARD. It should also be verified that the feeder cable is rated for direct burrial and has sufficient earth cover for protection. Repair and further evaluation by a licensed electrician is recommended.

Picture is a little fuzzy, but it does look like exposed wire nuts so I wrote it up that way. Also, from how the cable is coming out of the ground I would suspect the entire run is too shallow ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

At least it is GFCI protected.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Thats assuming the GFCI is functioning properly, proper grounding, not reversed polarity, etc. Still a high shock potential.

You want to try it, I don't think so!

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 234 and counting

Paul

If the GFCI had reversed polarity it would 'trip'.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Mike Parks wrote:
If the GFCI had reversed polarity it would 'trip'.

Mike P.

Nope. Been there done that.

Okay, so I'm not Paul ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff

I should have said on the 'load' side.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: psabados

OK

Thanks Jeff

I couldn't stand it, so I enlarged the photo 4X. Very grainy. Can not confirm looking through the plastic weather resistant shield that the receptacle is a GFCI unit. Looking further at the romex lead, it appears that only the white and the black wires have been connected using yellow wire nuts, the ground wire is not visible. As for the romex, the photo can not confirm that it is attached at the receptacle, as far as we know it could be a separate circuit ran from the interior, through the box and ending outside of the box.

Most likely the lead leaving the box, through the knockout hasn't been sealed off allowing moisture and insects access to the interior area. Now if this is the case, the chance of the GFCI tripping mechanism, if one is present, most likely does not work. If it does, in the very near future, it will rust and fail. Furthermore, the picture does not confirm that the romex is buried, it could be running across the yard somewhere, maybe to a pond or fountain.

Now, if that romex cable is attached to another receptacle down stream, with no ground wire attached, even a properly functioning unit will not trip, if shorted at that point.

TOO, many items could be pointed out, not enough information can be gleamed from this photo. Would the person that took this photo please provide a little more info and details please. Small pics and low res. make it difficult.

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 233 and counting