QOD June 26-06

Electric furnaces

Wow this ones interesting…

Well lets see, hmm, you do not loose any heat up the flue.:wink:

Hmmmm, very perceptive, Grasshopper.

However, there is the efficiency of the steam or natural gas fired generator, & the efficiency of the distribution system to consider.

Ah,I love resistance.
tg

Why yes of course but I don’t think Claude was asking for overall system efficiency from the plower plant to the electric furnace. Claude??

Excellent ? Claude

An all-electric furnace or boiler has no flue loss through a chimney. The AFUE rating for an all-electric furnace or boiler is between 95% and 100%. The lower values are for units installed outdoors because they have greater jacket heat loss. However, despite their high efficiency, the higher cost of electricity in most parts of the country makes all-electric furnaces or boilers an uneconomic choice.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/info/homes/understanding.html

Todd is right on the money!

100% of the energy is used and converted to heat. There is not loss of energy per se.

Too bad Todd’s answer was not an option.:slight_smile:

Wrong all that said 100%

First of all we are not converting all to energy – We are converting to usable heat. No magnetic lines of flux or light like near IR.

Then we have the blower to move the heated air which does not convert all the electrical energy to usable heat.

I would be more into the 100% deal if we put electrical heat plates in the middle of a room like an electrical heater

Nothing is 100% and it cost $$ if we are not

Some say that one should plug the drain of the bathtub for 24 hrs so that the heat from the hot water could dissipate to the home before we let it go to the drain.

rlb

Check the cost per BTU in your area

Down here in Fl – the cost of heat per BTU is free

Too bad that is incoming in and not out going

rlb

PS – I think that the cost of natural gas is higher than propane and electrical down here

And I have natural gas

rlb again