Question About Re-Nailing Roof Deck

My understanding is that after 2008 all roof decks had to be re-nailed when a new roof is installed. Before 2008 some homes already had 8D nails with correct spacing and some did not. Some homes being built after 2002 the builders started to use the new nailing and some AHJ required new nailing on new builds. I understand that the HVHZ is different, I am asking about everywhere else in the state. Reason is this…I have come across in the past where a roof over was accepted when the roof deck had been already re-nailed from a previous re-roof, but what about a 2011 roof over permit where the roof deck is still stapled. I have asked a couple of roofers and most of them just say not sure, they re-nail everything and do not worry about it. They do not do roof overs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Simple answer is…on a re-covering (roofover), the decking is not required to be renailed. Only required on a reroof where the old roof covering is removed and replaced. The cutoff date for renailing is 10/01/2007 when the retrofit code was enacted. There are more restrictions on re-covering in the FBC.

So for a roof over is there any inspections to be done by the building dept?

And how much of a roof is allowed to be replaced before a total new roof has to be installed?

Read this Michael…from the Florida Building code

25% Replacement Rule**

Florida Building Code – Existing Building Chapter 6 Section 611.1.1:
Not more than 25 percent of the total roof area or roof section of any existing building or structure shall be repaired, replaced or recovered in any 12 month period unless the entire roofing system or roof section conforms to requirements of this code.

If more than 25% of the roofing is damaged AND*The roof was not permitted subsequent to October 1, 2005, properly inspected or the permit was not “closed out” then the entire roofing section must be reroofed.
The roof was permitted subsequent to October 1, 2005, properly inspected and the permit was “closed out” then this rule does not apply.

The definition of a ROOF SECTION is found in the Florida Building Code – Existing Building edition’s Chapter 2 Section 202 DEFINITIONS:

ROOF SECTION. A separating or division of a roof area by existing expansion
joints, parapet walls, flashing (excluding valley), difference of elevation
(excluding hips and ridges), roof type or legal description; not including the roof area required for a proper tie‐off with an existing system.”
This means that both sides of a sloped roof are one section but changes in roofing material or changes in elevation are different roof sections.

Thanks…I was just digging into that and read it on their site. Funny thing is I just did an inspection where 50% of the roof was replaced in 2016, a permit was pulled and it was inspected and closed. Rest of the roof was replaced in 2005 and permited.

**708.1.1 **
Not more than 25 percent of the total roof area or roof section of any existing building or structure shall be repaired, replaced or recovered in any 12-month period unless the entire roofing system or roof section conforms to requirements of this code.

This would include the roof deck attachment requirements…

Final inspection

R4402.10.5 A roofing system shall not be applied over an existing roof or over an existing roof deck where the roof sheathing has not been fastened in compliance with this code or where the roof sheathing will not permit effective fastening or where sheathing is water soaked or deteriorated so that effective attachment is not possible. All areas of deteriorated sheathing shall be removed and replaced. The building official shall not be required to inspect the renailing of the sheathing under this section.

Ok thanks

**708.1.1 **
Not more than 25 percent of the total roof area or roof section of any existing building or structure shall be repaired, replaced or recovered in any 12-month period unless the entire roofing system or roof section conforms to requirements of this code. *

Pretty sure “requirements of this code” includes roof deck attachment :smiley:

That is what I thought however I had a home where 50% of the roof was replaced along with a few sheets of sheathing. This was done in 2016 with a permit and inspections.

That’s a HVHZ code.

Are you saying that you can not install a second layer of shingles over the old layer on the entire roof (with a non-compliant nailed down deck)? If you are, then you missed a spot.

For the record… I am not talking about the HVHZ

***708.1.1 **
Not more than 25 percent of the total roof area or roof section of any existing building or structure shall be repaired, replaced or recovered in any 12-month period unless the entire roofing system or roof section conforms to requirements of this code. *

*EXISTING BUILDING. A building erected prior to the date of adoption of the appropriate code, or one for which a legal building permit has been issued. *

…didn’t say anything, the building code did. :cool:

Different types of roof covering materials? Was it a “roof section”?

It takes upwards of 2 days for my responses to post sometimes. You can get all the information you need on wind mitigation inspections here:

http://askwindmitigationman.com/

The site is moderated by licensed Building Inspectors, Contractors, Engineers, and Home Inspectors. Posts will be answered in detail the same day. Re-nailing requirements in Florida are addressed here:

http://askwindmitigationman.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22

The site is free, no membership to buy.