Question about the National Test.

The NHIE was a little tricky. There seemed to be many odd questions about Slate Roofs, Heat, Corbelling brick, boilers, ice dams, oil fired something or anothers, hurricane straps, siesmic straps, crawl spaces, basements etc??? Wierd.

A question worded correctly about Stucco, AC, Conditoined space, or tile roofs, would have been nice. Maybe an extra credit question about pools or spas.

john B - I am sure that you were diligent enough in your younger years that you never drifted off in class, cut a day, or dozed off once in a while.

Still, I am sure you will agree that some do. The test is always adminstered after the class to do just that - test that you have retained the information you were given.

Attending mandated education is no guarantee of retaining the information, or even absorbing it once. Taking the test (NHIE) which I think is a reasonable test of standard HI knowledge is a legitiamte requirement.

I know you are an officer here, but I think that Nick (and a very few others) are the only ones who will not admit that the NACHI tet is not quite the equal of the NHIE on the scale of difficulty (NACHI being about a 3or 4, NHIE being about a 5or 7 and ICC being about an 8) 10 is for Bar exams, Medical Boards, and highly advanced professional exams and testing.

Joe M.,

You strike me as being a bright, articulate, and intelligent man.

Please give me your thoughts on this. The NHIE is a one time entry level exam. An exam that the majority study for by using the free NACHI exam and other resources. (See Dan Bowers post above).

If you use one exam to assist you in passing another exam, which one is really superior? The test you learn and study from or the one that you prepared for by using the other one. I submit that the NACHI exam is superior based solely on how individuals use it. And that is:

As a training and educational source that assists anyone to pass state mandated exams. Exams which I still believe are totally unecessary for entry, provided schooling has been completed.

On another note, I would hold more credence towards testing if it was required upon renewal of licenses also. Recertification tests should be the norm for licensure, not one time test that prove nothing to initially get a license.

NACHI is way ahead of the game by mandating the annual testing requirements. Now, before you go off on a tangent and say that NACHI does not monitor this requirement, I’ll have to agree. I have talked and preached to the choir on this for over two years now. In fact, last I knew, one of the projects on Chris Morrel’s table was to initiate a system whereby it nofify’s the NACHI member upon renewal of dues of their status for meeting yearly requirements (i.e. CE’s, Testing, etc.).

Hopefully he still has it on his list of things to do. I really doubt if I will see it, before I permanently retire, but hopefully someday it will happen.

If you are talking about the NHIE, when there is more than one ‘correct’ answer, choose the one that offers the most safety.

Personally, I though the NACHI test was more challanging.

The NACHI test "became’ easier because it is public, but then so is the NHIE. Any standardized test is if it is not, regularly, changed, upgraded and evaluated.

Call me (see below) if you need any specific help in taking the test. I took a special course in how to pass the NHIE.

Hope this helps;

Both the NACHI exam and the ICC exam are open book.:slight_smile:

John - so you are in favor of retaking the written and practical driver’s test every time your drivers license comes up for renewal?

I think in most cases, daily practice of a skill set is an acceptable substitute for annaul testing. Periodic retesting (say every 5 or 7 or 10 years) is a good idea as a method of ensuring continuing ed, and familiarity with/knowledge of industry changes, technology, new materials and methods, etc.

Your arguement for NACHI as the superior test overlooks the critical fact that Dan says he uses additional materials (Code Check Books) to study for the NHIE. To follow your example, the logic goes like this: I pass Test A without study materials. I use Test a PLUS additional materials to study for Test B. Test B must incorporate information not tested for by Text A. This - by your logical conclusion - would make it superior.

PLease note that I did not post here to belittel either test, as I think they are adequate for the purposes for which each is designed. (And I agree about the monitoring of requirements).

All I can share is my personal experience, and I found the NACHI test pretty easy, and found the NHIE more difficult - but everyone tests differently.

It amazes me to hear some saying that the NACHI exam was a piece of cake or easy.
That can only be reached to a conclusion by having taken a test of NACHI that was more specific for your area and yes would be easy.
I have never taken any Home Inspections Courses in my life, and when I took the NACHI ON -line test, I thought it was variably hard. It covered topics not usual for my area. Ex. (heat pumps). I passed the first round and then some, but you have to remember that I have been in Construction for a long time.
Anyone claiming that the NACHI on-line tests are easy in 35 minutes, is pulling your leg or was a 4.0 student somewhere.

I would imagine, that any one taking the NACHI test, are half way there.
I guess I have to look and see how difficult the other NHIE test is all about.

Marcel :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG></IMG>

Marcel did I mention that the NACHI test is an open book test.:smiley:
A code check book will walk you right through it. Of course it will cover most of the NHIE too, they just won’t let you bring it in.:wink:

Marcel - many of the comments about 20 minutes without looking, are from HIs taking an HI entry level test. It should be easy for them.

My experience was relative to some construction background in general contracting (having seen and done a little of everything) and that helped make it all pretty easy. That, plus the study photo course that NACHI used to have online (the Carson Dunlop series) seemed to contain at least 50-75 percent of the answers. A quick review of that library ensured passing.

The NHIE is bit more pressurized (their environment, not yours) and I think is a step tougher, but that is just my experience. You might find it easier.

Thanks Joe for the input and I guess you have me curious now and will have to check out this NHIE test and get back to you. I can’t imagine that it will make to much difference, but one never knows, does he?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

I am taking the Oklahoma test and it’s on computer. I was just curious if anyone on here has taken it?

Joe T. M.

Did you realize that this NHIE wants $1.00 a question for a sample test?

When I saw that, I felt like sending them an e-mail and requesting $2.00 for every right answer. Sh#t, I know I could get a grade of at least 50%. ha. ha. :slight_smile:

That is crazy.

Marcel

No, I did not take a sample test or get sample questions. Not sure that is worth it, but I guess for those that are nervous or want to be fully prepared…

Joe T…
I didn’t take a sample either, but went far enough to see that what they wanted. I thought it was a joke. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: