Question About Tie-Downs

My fiance and I are looking to purchase a home here in Central New York, that is a doublewide that was built in 1983. The bank’s appraiser noted that tie downs needed to be put in and my fiance and I were wondering who’s responsibility that should be? If there’s none, does that mean the home is “not up to code” and should be the responsibility of the seller? There was another manufactured doublewide that was sold nearby recently where they were told that the property didn’t need the tie downs because it was up to code when it was built and therefore “grandfathered in”. Just really interested in our options and what the actual “rules” are.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There are no “rules” per se. Forget codes and “grandfathering”…the appraiser is trying to protect the bank’s $, which can be a good thing for you. Double wides can move off the foundation, depending on the winds/flooding, etc., expected in your area. Codes are usually updated/improved for safety reasons.

Personally, I would not want to live in a house without tie-downs to the foundation.

You can buy the home as is, or not. The seller can fix the issue or take a chance on not being able to sell the home without fixing the issue.

So then it would be okay to put that on the seller? Originally the seller’s agent had suggested splitting the cost of the tie-downs, but it’s going to cost a pretty penny. We’re split between who should be responsible, as the bank is requiring that they’re installed.

In AZ tie downs are only required if the loan is VA or FHA.

Tie it down or be blown away . A manufactured home is under the HUD rules.
I have added a link to my Drop Box with the “Manufactured home construction and safety standards”.

Read section 3280.306 Wind Storm Protection

This link will only be active for 5 days from this posting

The seller’s agent is looking out for the seller. You could have the seller have the tie-downs installed but be prepared to walk away if he says no. AND, make sure the work has a qualified engineer’s stamp on the work receipt (in writing) completed and inspected, whoever does it.
I bet it wasn’t disclosed on the seller’s disclosure either. Were you given a copy of that? Did you have an independent inspector look at the home during your inspection contingency period? You need someone looking out for YOUR best interest and the bank is trying, to some extent, by requiring the tie-downs. But, what else would a home inspection turn up? Did you have one?

Don’t get too emotionally attached to one house. There are more out there…

It’s an estate sale, so I’m not sure the seller even knows what’s going on and we weren’t entitled to a seller’s disclosure because it’s an estate sale. We had a local contractor who we know very well go through the home and inspect it. He said that the tie downs weren’t there but hadn’t seen that as a problem before. Other than that, the only “issues” are cosmetic updates. (wood paneling, brown carpets, etc)

The tie downs may only be an “issue” with that particular Lender. Try a different Lender. PITA, or ask the seller to fix or reduce the price so you can fix it.

Check with your local jurisdiction for the engineered requirements. The Seller is reponsible for the anchors and tie downs from the initial installation. Make sure you are financially covered.

This link may help to show what is involved.

http://www.foremost.com/mygreathome/?v=a&an=how-to-install-tie-downs-and-anchors

Ever wonder why after a large storm , there is a guy standing out there saying sounded like a train coming , background covered in debris . tie it down

The tie downs will be taken care of or else we just won’t buy the house. We’re just trying to make sure we have “all our ducks in a row” with what’s mandatory and who should have to cover the cost of the project so we can make the best call for our family. We really appreciate everyone’s suggestions, help and advice! Thank you all!

A contractor is not the same as an inspector. There may be more issues that you are unaware of.

Ask your local municipal code guy (sometimes called the county code inspector) how many tie downs it needs. It will vary by the size of the structure and location.

As I’m in Southern California and see a number of older/un-bolted or un-strengthened homes and buildings (UR Masonry, Stick, Cripple etc)…I always get a kick out of how much grief/backlash I get when I mention a home or building is not secured to it’s foundation. It’s understood and common practice to secure water tanks, install smoke alarms and widely accepted.

Not to sound like an alarmist, but -

People die when structures move via external forces. Earthquakes, winds etc

Simple enough, I’d think.