Question about vent pipes

Why are we calling it out, you didn’t say why, yet.

What need to be corrected? You don’t like the looks of it, or is it leaking?

Can we “assume” that it will leak?

Good point. Is it leaking? Does it function as intended?

It functions as a pitch pocket. The point is, because it is different and never seen before in our short career, does it need fixen?

Do any of us know anything we can not see inside of?

Roof penitrations are the primary sources of leakage, but I can not assume that they are leaking because of how they look. HI Standards does not address future conditions, or how and why something needs to be corrected. Lets talk about just how this issue is a defect. Does not ripping apart a roof to correct what is not failed, more likely to cause other failures of the roof system? Is the seller expected to pay for these repairs when they just look odd? Can this application not wait till the roof is replaced, when it can be done correctly? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Simple and direct:

I observed a high-efficiency combustion exhaust pipe run up and through an existing vent for an old furnace. This is a roof flashing defect, not up to industry standards, and prone to leaks. Further evaluation and correction by a roofing professional is recommended.

all very good points imo…

That would be my plan if I was the buyer. No reason to tear into it at the moment. Change it up at the next re-roof.

2024-05-12_211931

3 Likes

When was the last time that you saw a pitch pocket that actually had pitch in it?

1 Like

Not sure. I often see black pourable sealant in them, but I have never performed a lick test :smile:

The one pictured has a depression that will hold water, and the sealant is cracked/weathered. I would call it out for those reasons. I have no idea if it will last until the next replacement cycle (with or without maintenance). In my opinion, it is prone to failure. I will leave the cure up to the roofing professional.

2 Likes

But is prone to failure not a prediction of future failure?

NACHI Standard:

1.2. A material defect is a specific issue with a system or component of a residential
property that may have a significant, adverse impact on the value of the property, or that
poses an unreasonable risk to people. The fact that a system or component is near, at,
or beyond the end of its normal, useful life is not, in itself, a material defect.

VIII. An inspection does not determine the life expectancy of the property or any
components or systems therein.

I bet you would have a hell of a time removing that yellow stuff that appears to be maybe leaking.

There are no materials that will not fail when used with PVC, after time. It is a maintenance concern, not a defect, unless it is actively leaking.

I had a run in with an inspector when selling a rental house with a situation similar to this. They brought in a roofer, as you recommend, who said it wasn’t right and wanted me to pay for the roof inspection.
“Show me the leak and I will repair it”. You want a roofer, you pay for it. Agent paid the bill.

Does anyone consider the ramifications of hiring another contractor on issues that are not a “Material Defect”? You can discribe what you see all day long and let the buyer decide where they go from there. Experience shows that those contractors know less than you do half of the time. Your wanting their opinion?

When we recommend “further evaluation”, it is because there is a “material defect” and it is not your job to determine cause or means of repair.

2.2. Exclusions:
E. the cause or reason of any condition.
F. the cause for the need of correction, repair or replacement of any system or
component.

1 Like

The SoP is a minimum reporting standard, and I have been hired to render an opinion. I believe that the installation should be brought to the buyer’s attention for correction. Maybe you and I have a difference in opinion, which is ok.

Stupid agent or a smart agent, I am not sure which. If the sale went thru, I would probably put that in the smart column.
In the end, the seller and buyer can do anything they choose with the information I provide.

This is a good example from a recent inspection. That is a tarp under the shingles. And it was not leaking. It made my report for correction.

1 Like

thats a first for me…

It’s not my opinion, it’s the written standard.

No, it is not.
The standards say you can go beyond the standard if you are qualified to do so. That means you’re an expert. So why are you calling someone else in if you’re the expert?

I’m just playing the devil’s advocate here with what it says in the Standard. Do what you guys want.
Don’t come crying when your client turns out to be a lawyer, and an ass hole. Happened to me… My lawyer shut him down with the HI Standard. State HI Board backed him up. :man_shrugging: Just sayen.

1 Like