Question for a amp rating in this 1890 home

Would appreciate if someone could help me confirm the electrical service amp rating for this old home .The main disconnect says it’s 100 amp but the meter appears to have cl 200 on it.Does that mean it is 200 amp service?? I also see there’s old knob n tub type wiring that appears to be connecting to the new Romex .I’m pretty sure that is not allowed by NEC ? Would really appreciate some input on confirming this as well. Thank you for any help

1 Like

Service will be determined by the lower of the:
Main breaker rating or amp rating of the service entry conductors.


Ok yes so it is only 100 amp service correct?

…and cabinet rating, too.


Thank You Larry ,what do you think about these open screw holes at bottom and top ?

The are mounting screw holes., Robert.

1 Like

Haha yep I know that but aren’t they supposed to closed off if not being used … I’m sorry I just thought that panels are not supposed to have openings unless something is coming in or out for fire safety ??doesn’t appear to be the proper panel for type of installation?

No they are not required to be closed. The NEC added language a few code cycles ago because some inspectors were requiring the 1/4" mounting holes in metal boxes to be filled.

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
(A) Unused Openings. Unused openings, other than those intended for the operation of equipment, those intended for mounting purposes, or those permitted as part of the design for listed equipment, shall be closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment. Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm ( 1 ∕ 4 in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.


That’s a 100 amp service. The meter is irrelevant in determining the service size.


Oh ok … So that is newly Revised because I thought they were not allowed according to school & 2018 version of NEC.

Yes I’m only on my 2nd year inspecting !! :laughing: lol

But been in construction my whole life !

The Knob & Tube wiring appears to be active. Many insurance companies may not insure the house. I always recommend the client check with their insurance company.


Ok thank You but I do know this is an FHA loan as well!!

I always call out knob and tube wiring as a major defect, mostly because most insurance companies won’t insure it or will charge extra to insure it due to the fact that most of it’s got deteriorating insulation and it’s been hacked into.

If I find it installed under insulation I call it out as a potential fire hazard.


I agree, you should always call it out when buried in insulation as potential fire hazard. Also it’s a direct NEC violation. {394.12(5)}


Quick caution about knob and tube wiring. I inspected a home that had it, but seller had assured us that he had it all removed where they could and that it was severed from power and no longer active. Found it in the basement and all over the attic which had a full floor and was being used as a large storage area. I checked it with my sniffer and half of the runs tested as hot. Now I always check it to determine if it is really abandoned or still somehow connected and powered. Seller was upset, since he paid electrician to remove it all…10 years ago. Now he will have to pay to do it again.


Good work, George!

1 Like

Thanks guys for all those very helpful hints !! Love the forum !! :grinning:

Ps I’m in your neck of the woods Larry !! On a little vacation

Please enjoy our beautiful area. Hit Sleeping Bears Dunes, if you can and do the self driving visit…worth it…both.