Question for A$HI members

Originally Posted By: jbowman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Recently, I had the pleasure of meeting two of your candidate members. For clarification purposes, I will label them as follows:

Senior Candidate - Had more than 50 Inspections, was able to utilize the A$HI logo, but was not yet eligible for full membership.

Junior Candidate - New to the Inspection business with less than 50 Inspections.

In the case of these two inspectors, the Senior Candidate has hired the Junior Candidate to perform inspections for his business. The Senior Candidate has been verifying the Junior Candidates inspections for the purposes of becoming qualified for A$HI standards. The Senior Candidate has been charging the Client the full amount and then compensating the Junior Candidate with $75.00 per inspection. Both candidates are using the same inspection as qualifying standards for A$HI.

Now, my general question is this. Just what is A$HI trying to accomplish here? Are these gentlemen operating in the proper manner. If they are, then what I am seeing is that once the Junior Candidate reaches the 50 Inspections, he can then turn around and hire his own Junior-Junior Candidate member, and misuse him in the same method while working towards his 250 Inspection goal. I don't understand this process and would like to get an explanation of it if I could.

To my fellow NACHI members. I am sorry to post this on our forum, but unfortunately I cannot post on A$HI's. In my area (Elmira, NY), whenever you hire someone to work for you, you must carry the proper insurance unless you meet specific requirements. In this particular case the Senior Candidate dictates what Inspection Junior Candidate is to go to and at what time. In NY and by IRS Laws, that is an employee and Workman's Comp. etc. must be paid by the Senior Candidate.

Originally Posted By: psabados

John

Sounds like M-L-M to me Multi Level Mentoring. The circle in the center is you, now if you mentor three and each of those three mentor three you can attain the golden emblem in 1/12th the time. Hmmmmmmmmm! And look at the income that is generated downline ![eusa_eh.gif](upload://ro9kPBBU7ILOA34tTsGzSg7Sl8y.gif)

Paul

Originally Posted By: dharris

From my experience and As far as I know to have a report qualify for the 50 or 250 it is required to be a fee paid inspection and performed in full by the qualifying inspector

As far a confirming reports meet standards, we are required to send a list of completed inspections and ashi will ask for 5 from that list which they send to a qualified verifying inspector of there choice to verify said reports meet standards.

If I was Jr inspector regardless of senior inspectors ashi status I would take advantage of ashi’s report review service for new inspectors and send 2 reports to ashi for review, to confirm my inspection are being documented to ashi standards properly

[ Scott Patterson correct me if i’m wrong]

75.00 per inspection, From what i've seen the going rate is 35-40% for employees, often not much more than 75.00 with a small home
As far as the IRS, oh well thats there problem

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Seeing that we are not allowed to submit our reports to anyone other than the client without their prior approval, I’m assuming that sending 5 reports to A$hi would violate my state statutes. Not too sure how the inspectors in my state did this?? Maybe they got the permission, but I doubt it! icon_wink.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Kevin -

Its the same in states with licensing. If you blocked out the clients name, address, etc and sent it off - you're not violating anybodys info.

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

I might be wrong here but I think it’s more like 50 inspections

Chris Marshburn

Marshburn Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Daniel,

Thanks for the response. Now I'm really worried for Junior Inspector. All of the inspections that he completed were given to the Senior Inspector who issued them to the client under Senior's business name and signature. I'll have to find out if Junior is listed on the report as the Inspector. If he is, which one gets credit for this full inspection? Junior did the inspection but Senior wrote out the report, utilizing his template findings.

Is Junior getting screwed??
Is this mentoring or abuse of services?
How does Junior get his hands on this report for submittal?
Does the client know that this report may be used for qualifying purposes?
Is it stipulated in all Candidate contracts? For example, "The client understands that Inspector Junior is a Candidate member of A$HI. The client further understands that upon the discression of A$HI the report issued under this contractural agreement may be utilized in the issuance of qualifying such candidate member for full member status. Client further understands that if the report does or does not meet the A$HI standards that the client will not be notified of its qualifying status.

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

Quote:
Is Junior getting screwed??

You need to ask him.

Quote:
Is this mentoring or abuse of services?

It sounds like he is an employee working for another inspector.

Quote:
How does Junior get his hands on this report for submittal?

I would hope that he has a copy of the report.

Quote:
Does the client know that this report may be used for qualifying purposes?

I doubt it, but why would the client need to know this?

Quote:
Is it stipulated in all Candidate contracts? For example, "The client understands that Inspector Junior is a Candidate member of A$HI. The client further understands that upon the discression of A$HI the report issued under this contractural agreement may be utilized in the issuance of qualifying such candidate member for full member status. Client further understands that if the report does or does not meet the A$HI standards that the client will not be notified of its qualifying status.

What contract are you talking about? I don't know of any standard contract. I guess this would depend on the individual company.

Now answer this; Does your contract tell your client that your reports have not been verified for for compliance to the NACHI standards and that it is possible that even though I am a Certified Inspector with NACHI I am new in the business and I am learning as I go so you can't hold me liable for my lack of knowledge or experience?

It sounds like you have a problem with this individual in your area. You need to address him on what he is doing instead of asking questions that only he can answer. Or you could post them on the other forums as that person might be on them and will respond.

Scott

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Quote:
You need to ask him.

He's asking me if he is. He started doing inspections for Senior in order to obtain the required 50.

Quote:
It sounds like he is an employee working for another inspector.

I agree. Senior Inspector should be carrying Workmen's Comp, etc.

Quote:
I would hope that he has a copy of the report.

He does, but it does not mention his name in there anywhere. Thus he must be an employee. Senior takes Juniors field notes and creates report as though it was his own.

Quote:
Now answer this; Does your contract tell your client that your reports have not been verified for for compliance to the NACHI standards and that it is possible that even though I am a Certified Inspector with NACHI I am new in the business and I am learning as I go so you can't hold me liable for my lack of knowledge or experience?

No.

Quote:
It sounds like you have a problem with this individual in your area. You need to address him on what he is doing instead of asking questions that only he can answer. Or you could post them on the other forums as that person might be on them and will respond.

You are right. However, I'm not having the problem, the Junior member is. Senior won't answer any questions. He only states that he is doing this in accordance with the Ashi standards of mentoring.

Originally Posted By: dharris

Chris

You need to have 50 inspections that meet standards, for the candidate logo use status, as you don’t know which 5 reports ashi will request

Originally Posted By: Steve Costa

[quote]Both candidates are using the same inspection as qualifying standards for A$HI. [/quote

Scott, this isnt allowed? Is it? Thanks, Steve