Question for Electrical Guru's

Anyone know anything about this or have any comment on how this works.
go to: http://www.ampilizer.com

Thanks in advance!

Power factor correction

I doesn’t.
That is a con job if you look at the How it works page.

It claims to generate the magnetic field for a motor thus saving money.LMAO.:roll:

If you know how a motor works then you know it is B.S.

Time to sell my perpetual motion machine.

Knowedge is power Bob.

You need some :roll:

But yes it is probably an expensive gimmick for a residence.

I have more than knowledge you but other than off handed and idiotic insults what have you contributed here?

Maybe you can blame Obama for it like you do all your other troubles.

Must bow down to your knowledge of conserving energy however as you conserve it all day /everyday.:neutral:

Motors have permanent magnets built in already while this gadget claims to generate a magnetic field for the motors.
Learn science 101 pal.

Quick name a material that blocks magnetism… waiting…still waiting.

Bob when you’re wrong you’re wrong.

Apparently you know little about inductive loads… :wink:

Just admit it and move on. Sorry if you were offended.

I answered the question that was asked.

You just ranted without understanding. :roll:

You answered neither his question nor mine.
You are simply an insulting simpleton.

Now explain why in your opinion it works and then answer mine or are you still scouring the internet for an answer ?

Go by it and let us know how it works out for you.

You must be awfully dumb to think a fridge uses 100 amps to power the thing as their example claims.
Please go back and take NACHI,s electrical course Mike as you need a refresher.

What do you mean? My refrigerator trips my 100 AMP breaker all the time. LOL:roll:

I’m afraid Mr. Larson’s answer is correct here. Brief… yes! Concise… yes! Correct… yes!!!. The use of capacitors to change the power factor of inductive loads has been known for years. Years ago manufacturing plants with huge inductive loads would install capacitive motors to bring their overall inductive power factor towards a resistive power factor and their electric bill would go down somewhat. Although companies have been scamming homeowners for years using this theory… a normal residence does not have enough of an inductive power factor to save any money.
By the way, the Ampilizer add does not actually say the refer uses 100 amps. It says to use 100 amps as an example. I agree however that the rest of the ad is BS.

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your answers. It seems that everyone here supplied great and informative information. My questions was not meant to be about who had the right or wrong answer but about sharing information and expertise. That’s what makes this such a great venue for gaining important info. Again, thank you all and all have a great weekend.:slight_smile:

These units are similiar to a KVAR unit that really a bank of capacitors that are used to adjust power factors. In residential applications you need not waste your money on these things because you are charged per Kilowatt usage and most appliances and so on with motors that would be inductive already have some form of capacitor and so on. If you are a business with many motors and so on then power correction can be important if you have a poor factor already and charged a fine for it…basically a charge to correct your poor factors…then it can save you quite a bit of money in fines and so on…help your motors run better and so on…but in residential applications…don’t waste your money.

I could not find any information concerning any NRTL listing for this product. If it is listed it would have to comply with:

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=0916.html :slight_smile:

It corrects for lagging Power Factor. Power Factor can be either lagging or leading but there are relatively few loads that cause a leading PF so correction devices, unless otherwise stated, are going to correct for a lagging PF. When Voltage and current are our of phase, the PF is either leading or lagging. The terms leading and lagging refer to the current relative to the Voltage. Thus, a lagging PF means that the current lags behind Voltage.

The reason PF is usually lagging is that most electrical loads are either resistive or inductive. Resistive loads have no influence on PF, inductive loads cause lagging PF. Capacitive loads cause leading PF. All inductive loads require a magnetizing current. MOST (not all) motors cause lagging PF. Asynchronous motors cause leading PF. In a purely resistive circuit, Voltage and current are perfectly in phase and PF is “1” or “unity”. PF is often expressed as a percentage. “Percent PF”, however, is actually a misnomer because PF describes a vector relationship, not a linear relationship between Voltage and current.

Power is measured in Watts. At unity PF, one Watt equals 1 Volt-Ampere. Power = work. In circuits that are not at unity PF, current flows that is not doing work. Most motors will continue to operate on a circuit down to a PF of about .70. Most capacitors are measured in Farads. However, PF correction capacitors are measured in kilo-Volt-Amperes-reactive (aka kVAr). Residential electricity is usually sold based Watt-hours with some add-ons for fuel recovery and so on. Non-residential electricity is sold in a variety of different ways. PF is a common factor. The main flaw in the argument put forth in the advertisement is that Watt-meters on houses measure Watts. They do not measure Amperes. They do not measure PF. Adding PF correction at a house benefits the utility company. Ultimately, PF correction is like recycling. If everyone did it, we would all benefit.

Calculating PF is very easy to do. I have several calculators I developed as teaching aids for PF. I believe they are all in the Education Center on my website. If not, send me an e-mail and I’ll send them to you.

What about the fact it helps with power surge, and the demand power surge has on motors?

Interesting thread…thank you.

Induction motors require two or more magnetic fields in order to operate. Some motors have permanent magnets built in but even motors with magnets build a magnetic field. When an induction motor is energized, the resistance of the windings is the total resistance for the load, which is why Induction motors have a large current flow until the CEMF is developed. The initial current flow is commonly called in-rush current. A magnetic field builds, creating a counter EMF (electromotive force). The CEMF quickly raises the impedance of the motor. Both resistance and impedance are measured in Ohms. It is the building and maintaining of the magnetic field that causes the Voltage and current to be out of phase.

Found this ‘Magik Box’ on today’s teardown… :lol: