Question for house inspector (posted by Kim Chan)

[ASKNACHI]This question was posted on AskNACHI.org by Kim Chan (from Milton, Ma). [/ASKNACHI]hi, I just wonder when an inspector come to check in the house I am going purchase, What is the major question I should ask? and what is the important thing I should concern
about the house?

Kim

Kim,
There are lots of questions you should and could ask, and a lot of resources on the internet to guide you. However what I’ve been asked more than any other question is, How much do you Charge? Which really should be the least of your concerns. Find out about the inspector and how he/she approaches the inspection. What they are going to do for you. What services are they going to perform. Paying a little more for a better inspector is a GREAT investment in your future, and the fact that you’ve come to the NACHI site is a great place to start. Don’t go with the low bidder. You’ll get what you paid for.

As far as the inspection is concerned, you should be most concerned with what we at KiNG call the MAJORS. Majors are those items that effect the safety and habitability of the home. If your inspector is concerned about cosmetic defects then he’s really waisting your time. After all, you can see those yourself. Also, some inspectors, tend to get carried away with code. Don’t be so concerned with that word or if the home is up to code or not. Code is often different for different municipalities. It’s also the minimum legal work that needs to be done during construction. Once the home is built then as code changes there isn’t an automatic code upgrade for you to download and install into the house. Older homes by definition won’t meet many current code regulations and for the most part shouldn’t be expected to. Your concern should be safety, and that you’re not going to have a problem in the future with it. Sometimes things are built to code, but are still unsafe or need improvements. Sometimes things aren’t up to current code, and are perfectly fine.

You want to know that the house is structurally sound. You want to know the condition of the roof. You want to know that the plumbing doesn’t seem to be leaking. You want to know the condition and age of the HVAC system. You want to know that the electrical system is safe. You want to know that the house is dry, and if there is moisture somewhere, why it’s there or how to find out why its there.

What you shouldn’t be concerned with is the little stuff. There is no such thing as a perfect house. Even if it’s brand spakin’ new, there’s going to be little things that need to be dealt with. So don’t nit-pick the house. You love it already, otherwise you wouldn’t have made an offer on it in the first place. Continue loving it, and focus on the Majors, keeping the big picture in mind.

Lastly, don’t skip the ancillary services that home inspectors provide. At a minimum get a termite inspection and a radon inspection as well. If you want more info on those you can contact me directly through my web site at http://www.kingdominspections.com/inspection/office/6 and I can tell you more about it.

Other ancillary inspections might include: Household Drug Pollution testing to determine if any drug use or manufacturing has occurred in the home (potential health risk). Mold testing (I would get a recommendation from the HI to see if he/she thinks it’s necessary based on their findings.) Home Security System testing (If you’re interested in this and your HI doesn’t offer it, I can arrange to have it done for you.) If you have a well, have its Quality and Quantity tested. Have the Septic system evaluation.

Yes it is going to cost you some money to do these things. But look at it this way. You are going to be making what is probably going to be the single biggest investment you will ever make in your life. You absolutely need to know what you are buying. So don’t skimp. Go with an inspector who might charge a little more, but will also spend the time necessary to give you a thorough evaluation of the home.

I wish you the best, feel free to contact me directly if you have other questions.
Mark

Mark Nahrgang
Kingdom Inspection Network Group-Saint Louis
www.KingdomInspections.com

http://www.masscertifiedhomeinspections.com/?D=89

My opinion is to let your inspector do a complete, thorough inspection. When he is finished or during the inspection he should point out any major problems, roof leaking, furnace problems, electrical, mold, etc. When you receive your report and review the issues, all of the problems will be revealed. Then you will know what major concerns you will have to deal with and aware of just what questions need to be asked.

How many years have you been doing home inspections,
How many hours do you have in continuing education .

#1 I wonder what % of home inspectors have completed their continuing education .
#2 I wonder what % of NACHI Members are full members .

My guess to number one 35 % ~
My guess to number two 5 % ~

Welcome to the AskNACHI.org forum. Please read these rules before you post.

1. This is a moderated forum. Members who post here are representing NACHI and therefore posts that misrepresent the organization, that are technically incorrect or that are lewd or offensive will be removed.
  2. Please use minimal formatting in your posts. Your posts on this forum are being converted to HTML on another web site. Our system handles this pretty well, but don’t make its job harder than it already is.
    *]Please avoid using quotes. See #2.
    Please note that these rules will likely change over the next week or two. Please check back shortly.

Actually how many years have you been doing home inspections is a good question.

Roy, what are you doing? Have you jumped ship! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hi, I just wonder when an inspector come to check in the house I am going purchase, What is the major question I should ask? and what is the important thing I should concern
about the house?

Kim
No Ken not at all the Gentelman asked what questions should he ask an Inspector , My thoughts on questions below.

How many years have you been doing home inspections,
How many hours do you have in continuing education .

I expected some one would like to know my thoughts and they are below

#1 I wonder what % of home inspectors have completed their continuing education .
#2 I wonder what % of NACHI Members are full members .

My guess to number one 35 % ~
My guess to number two 5 % ~

It would be interesting to see what others have done.
I expect my answer could be extremly close ~

I have completed My continuing education and am a Full NACHI member

What are your thoughts on what a person should ask when they call a home inspector

If I am reading Kims post correctly, they are asking what to ask the inspector after they have already hired him and the inspector is onsite preparing to do the inspection, not what to ask when they call the inspector??

I may be wrong?

Thanks Brian you are correct.
Looks like I need too read some questions more then Once.
Sorry for all the confusion.

Kim,

Actually, the questions that Mr. Cooke has suggested that you ask are probably the most irrelevant to anyone wanting to hire a good home inspector.

First, the majority of home inspectors do not belong to any association and a very large number of those who do, do so strictly for the marketing opportunities it provides. For example, I would not have the opportunity to talk to you right now if I were not a member of NACHI.

Inspectors with decades in the business will tell you that the first thing you should ask is “How many decades have you been in the business?”

Inspectors with thousands of home inspections under their belt will tell you that the first thing you should ask is “How many thousands of home inspections have you done?”

Inspectors with thousands of dollars invested in various pieces of testing equipment will suggest that the first thing you should ask is “How powerful is your flashlight?”

You will have to forgive them/us for our propensity to steer everyone toward our particular strengths and whatever competitive edge we may have at the moment.

No…Roy’s suggestion will help you find an inspector who attends seminars and fulfills the minimum requirements of his association…but won’t tell you a hill of beans about the inspector.

My suggestion to you is not to focus so much upon asking questions of the inspector as to:

1. Find three friends/acquaintances who have recently used a home inspector and ask them for a referral. Particularly, ask them what they liked most and least about their inspector…and compare their needs to yours.

2. Understand that ten good home inspectors following the same SOP (inspection guidelines) should, with only very minor variations, provide the same inspection reports…so focus upon your specific needs.

a. Are you in a hurry and need a report on site, or can you wait 24-hours? Inspectors vary in this regard.
    b. Are you looking for a narrative report that explains the details of the inspection findings, or will a checklist suffice. Inspectors vary in this regard.
    c. Are you looking for a home inspector who works closely with your real estate salesman, or are you looking for an inspector who works independently of real estat salesmen? Inspectors vary in this regard.
    d. When is he available to do the inspection? Do you need him in the evening or on a weekend? Inspectors vary in this regard.
    e. If you live in a state that requires inspectors to be registered or licensed, you will want to know if he has complied with your state laws. Inspectors vary in this regard.
    f. How long will he take to inspect the property and can you accompany him? Inspectors vary in this regard.

These are a few starters to get you on the way to finding the inspector who will best fit your particular needs.

Good luck.

If your wrong, so am I

Roy, what I see in your quote is that you’re saying only 35% of Nachi members fulfill the continuing education requirements, and that only 5% of members are fully certified. When you know that neither of these statements can be true. To be a nachi member you have to fulfill 100% of the CE, and there is no such thing as partial or stages in nachi membership, you are or you’re not a member of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. We do not have differents levels, as does ashi. There are no trainees in nachi! So please explain your statements.

Ken Please read my Post .
If you think all the NACHI members have completed their Continuing education you are wrong.
I did not say certified I said Full members and if you have no idea what that is I would say please find out .
I stand by my statements fully and what MY 9 Guess ) was of those who have done the continuing education .

Ken how many hours do yo have this last year in continuing education I have about Fifty.
Ken are you a full member of NACHI .
I do not think so when you do not even know what A full member is .
Thanks for your concerns .
Have to leave to do an Inspection

Why would you want to undermine other inspectors, your brothers and sisters on this public forum directed at clients Roy?

Please see the rules which you are breaking.

Welcome to the AskNACHI.org forum. Please read these rules before you post.

*]This is a moderated forum. Members who post here are representing NACHI and therefore posts that misrepresent the organization, offensive will be removed.

Yep still trying to be the Police for NACHI she can not inspect so looking for another Job that she can not do .
I wonder how many things Wendy has failed at in her life .
I wonder has she ever succeeded at any thing . You have to admit she is consistant she try every thing .
Some day she might even find a job she can do.
Wendy is so ashamed of her self she even hides her name when she comes to post .
Talk about an inferior complex she has it big time

Here’s my reply to Kim’s question:

Buying a home? It is probably the most expensive purchase you will ever make. This is no time to shop for a cheap inspection. The cost of a home inspection is very small relative to the home being inspected. The additional cost of hiring a NACHI certified inspector is almost insignificant.

You have recently been crunching the numbers, negotiating offers, adding up closing costs, shopping for mortgages and trying to get the best deals. Do not stop now. Do not let your real estate agent, a patty-cake inspector or anyone else talk you into skimping here. NACHI certified inspectors perform the best inspections by far.

NACHI certified inspectors earn their fees many times over. They do more, they deserve more and, yes, they generally charge a little more. Do yourself a favor…and pay a little more for the quality inspection you deserve.
Licensing of home inspectors only sets a minimum standard. Much like being up to code, any less would be illegal. Imaginary people, children, psychics (who claim to “sense” if a house is OK) and even pets can be home inspectors. NACHI, the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors front-ends its membership requirements.

NACHI inspectors:

• Have to pass NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination every year. (This general, not association-specific exam is open and free to all).
  • Have to complete NACHI’s online Ethics Obstacle Course. (This open book Ethics course is open and free to all).
  • Have to take NACHI’s online Standards of Practice Quiz (This open book Standards of Practice quiz is open and free to all).
  • Have to sign and submit an Affidavit.
  • Have to adhere to NACHI’s Standards of Practice.
  • Have to abide by NACHI’s Code of Ethics.
  • Have to continue learning (24 hours/year) as per NACHI’s Continuing Education Policy.
  • Have to maintain a member Online Continuing Education Log (free) as per NACHI’s Continuing Education Policy.
  • Have to (if never performed a home inspection for a fee) submit 4 mock inspections to NACHI’s Report Review Committee (free) before performing their first home inspection for a client.
  • Have to (within 30 days after joining) successfully complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Standards of Practice course (free).
  • Have to (within first 60 days after joining) complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Roofing course (free) including all the quizzes within and pass it’s final exam.
  • Have to (within first 3 months of membership) apply for a membership photo I.D. (free).
  • Have to re-take and pass NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination again, every year (free).
  • Have to attend at least one chapter meetings or educational seminars every two years (reasonable exceptions apply).
  • Have access to Inspector’s Quarterly, delivered to their doorstep.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free visual aid inspection frames to help them learn.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free library for improving their inspection skills.
  • Have access to NACHI’s message board for exchanging information and tips.
  • Have access to NACHI’s What’s New section so they can keep up with the industry.
  • Have access to NACHI’s specific-topic advisory boards.
  • Have access to Dear NACHI for detailed advice.
  • Have access to a time-tested Agreement which keeps them (and you) away from lawsuits.
  • Have access to NACHI’s Report Review/Mentoring service.
  • Have to submit passport photos for their membership I.D.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free online inspection courses.
  • Have to have mock inspections reviewed before performing their first fee paid inspection.
  • Have to carry E&O insurance (if their state requires it).
  • Have access to a real estate agent hold harmless clause.
  • Have access to NACHI University.
  • Have access to The NACHI Mall.
  • Have a consumer hot-line for their clients.
  • Have access to an Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Service.
  • Have access to a Client Satisfaction Survey.
    So the next time you need to refer your clients to home inspectors, make sure they are members of NACHI.

For the best inspector in your neighborhood visit www.InspectorLocator.com or call 1-877 FIND-INS.

](http://www.inspectorseek.com/)

Here’s NACHI’s reply to Kim’s question:

Buying a home? It is probably the most expensive purchase you will ever make. This is no time to shop for a cheap inspection. The cost of a home inspection is very small relative to the home being inspected. The additional cost of hiring a NACHI certified inspector is almost insignificant.

You have recently been crunching the numbers, negotiating offers, adding up closing costs, shopping for mortgages and trying to get the best deals. Do not stop now. Do not let your real estate agent, a patty-cake inspector or anyone else talk you into skimping here. NACHI certified inspectors perform the best inspections by far.

NACHI certified inspectors earn their fees many times over. They do more, they deserve more and, yes, they generally charge a little more. Do yourself a favor…and pay a little more for the quality inspection you deserve.
Licensing of home inspectors only sets a minimum standard. Much like being up to code, any less would be illegal. Imaginary people, children, psychics (who claim to “sense” if a house is OK) and even pets can be home inspectors. NACHI, the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors front-ends its membership requirements.

NACHI inspectors:

• Have to pass NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination every year. (This general, not association-specific exam is open and free to all).
  • Have to complete NACHI’s online Ethics Obstacle Course. (This open book Ethics course is open and free to all).
  • Have to take NACHI’s online Standards of Practice Quiz (This open book Standards of Practice quiz is open and free to all).
  • Have to sign and submit an Affidavit.
  • Have to adhere to NACHI’s Standards of Practice.
  • Have to abide by NACHI’s Code of Ethics.
  • Have to continue learning (24 hours/year) as per NACHI’s Continuing Education Policy.
  • Have to maintain a member Online Continuing Education Log (free) as per NACHI’s Continuing Education Policy.
  • Have to (if never performed a home inspection for a fee) submit 4 mock inspections to NACHI’s Report Review Committee (free) before performing their first home inspection for a client.
  • Have to (within 30 days after joining) successfully complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Standards of Practice course (free).
  • Have to (within first 60 days after joining) complete NACHI’s comprehensive online Roofing course (free) including all the quizzes within and pass it’s final exam.
  • Have to (within first 3 months of membership) apply for a membership photo I.D. (free).
  • Have to re-take and pass NACHI’s Online Inspector Examination again, every year (free).
  • Have to attend at least one chapter meetings or educational seminars every two years (reasonable exceptions apply).
  • Have access to Inspector’s Quarterly, delivered to their doorstep.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free visual aid inspection frames to help them learn.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free library for improving their inspection skills.
  • Have access to NACHI’s message board for exchanging information and tips.
  • Have access to NACHI’s What’s New section so they can keep up with the industry.
  • Have access to NACHI’s specific-topic advisory boards.
  • Have access to Dear NACHI for detailed advice.
  • Have access to a time-tested Agreement which keeps them (and you) away from lawsuits.
  • Have access to NACHI’s Report Review/Mentoring service.
  • Have to submit passport photos for their membership I.D.
  • Have access to NACHI’s free online inspection courses.
  • Have to have mock inspections reviewed before performing their first fee paid inspection.
  • Have to carry E&O insurance (if their state requires it).
  • Have access to a real estate agent hold harmless clause.
  • Have access to NACHI University.
  • Have access to The NACHI Mall.
  • Have a consumer hot-line for their clients.
  • Have access to an Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Service.
  • Have access to a Client Satisfaction Survey.
    So the next time you need to refer your clients to home inspectors, make sure they are members of NACHI.

For the best inspector in your neighborhood visit www.InspectorLocator.com or call 1-877 FIND-INS.

](http://www.inspectorseek.com/)

Irrespective of who does you report, you have to read it.

My experience is that less than half of my clients - perhaps substantially less - actually do so, they pay for my time and expertise, and then don’t bother to read the report.